Lenni wheels

Still in the research/shopping phase and would like some info regarding the wheels on the Lenni. What differences are seen in the vertical wheels on Lenni versus the horizontal wheels used on the other APQS models? Also, on the 10 ft table, are the rails in one piece or 2 and, if 2, does that pose any problems with the ease of motion? Thanks for any responses. Sally in NE Ohio

My Lenni wheels are on top of the rails instead of along side the rails. I have a 10' table that does not break down into 2 parts. I asked for the solid table. My rails are all solid and the length of the table. It is well put together and rides smoothly and easily on the rails. I have no complaints what ever! I am very very I choose an APQS Lenni!

Hi Sally

The wheels are the same its the orientation thats different. (I think we are now supplying black wheels with the finer bearings for Lenni - at least the last machine I set up had the black wheels. I didn't notice it moving any smoother than the brown wheels but the black wheels do have finer bearings.

The Lenni is so much lighter than the larger machines and so doesn't have the same potential for vibration as the larger machines might so vertical wheels on Lenni work beautifully and can be adjusted on the track .

You can choose a table with one piece rollers or 2 piece.

Good luck with your research.

sue in Australia

After playing around with a Lenni with Black wheels and the one piece table.. I found it much smoother and easier to move than the two piece table with the brown wheels.. The two piece table has one piece rails for it to ride on, but they are not metal as the one piece table has..

Any idea if it would be the metal/vinyl rails, or the black/brown wheels, that would be making the difference???

Mine was one of the machines that came out quite early last Dec. so didn't have the choice of the one piece table.

Still love it compared to other machines... it's easier to handle than other brands I've moved around a bit, too.

RitaR

Roberta, I didn't mean to say Penny doesn't roll smoothly and easily with brown wheels on the two piece table. She really does.

However, I did find it a lot smoother and easier with black wheels on one piece table.. odd to think it could be easier, but I really did notice a difference..

Love my Penny when she's not having PMS.. LOL, same with himself.

RitaR

Hello Sue

Well I'm really surprised about the Lenni wheels. How things turn around!

As you know I haven't been happy with the brown wheels I received and have wanted wheels with better bearings. Now out of the blue they're going out on the new Lennis!!! I'm feeling cross!!!

I would like to know if APQS will replace the brown wheels that were sent with my machine? I am happy to return the old wheels.

Appreciate a reply on this one.

Judy Smith

Hi Sue

Just read my old post. I apologise if I was over the top and I did not mean to attack you.

Of course, I know that you do not have control over what components are put on.

So in this regard I should address myself to APQS management.

I won't go into the problems with the two piece table. I've said my piece on that matter and it's history.

But to find out about the wheels really makes me indignant. I have complained about the brown wheels from day 1 and there was no offer to replace them. Now I find that they are being replaced with wheels with better ball bearings and I'm supposed to stomach that!

Are APQS prepared to replace the brown wheels which I have found unsatisfactory

Thank you.

Judy Smith

Sally

I have the two piece table which had the brown wheels.

When I got my machine there was not a choice with the table, had there been, I probably would have gone with the one piece, firstly because it eliminates any problems with the join ( I actually didn't have any), and secondly I wonder whether the one piece table has less issues with the nylon rail, which in my case needed considerble sanding to achieve the smoothness I was looking for. I'm presumig the one piece rail is metal and does not need sanding??

I now have edgerider wheels which are really what made the difference for me.

So Rita, is it the wheels or the table? Probably for me it was the wheels.

To put this all into perspective I am perfectly happy with my machine.

...........just another thought

as the two-piece table was a marketing point, how many people actually make use of this and dismantle their table???

This wasn't the reason I chose the Lenni so I never have but it seems it would be quite a performance; not like folding the ironing board and popping it under the bed, which was a bit how it sounded to me.

Hi Judy

I have the same style table as you and my Lenni has the brown wheels. The bearings on the black wheels are finer and I've used a machine with the black wheels, but I don't think there is much, if any, difference in how it moved compared with mine. The difference is more noticeable with machines that are considerably heavier than the Lenni and have horizontal wheel alignment. I'm going to keep the brown wheels on my Lenni.

I'll give you a call on Monday and we can see if we can work out what the problem is and how we can fix it. It may be that the wheels need to be adjusted or the strip needs to be checked for unevenness along the length of the table or rough spots. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this soon.

Best wishes

sue

Sue

Thankyou for offering to ring and sort out the wheels. I've gone about as far as I can go on this matter. The wheels are perfectly aligned and I have detailed ad nauseum the trials with the table setup.

As for adjusting the wheels, they are not like the horizontal wheels that can be adjusted. Basically they are centred on all tracks and I don't think you can do any further adjustments. But please advise me if I can do anything else.

The problem has always been that moving horizontally and vertically is OK, but moving diagonally is very hard - harder than it should be.

This is because the brown wheels are very basic. Wheels with better ballbearings are capable of moving smoothly in all directions.

I've written to APQS some months back and they gave me the same standard reply, that it's more noticeable on machines that are considerably heavier.

So can you tell me why APQS are now supplying wheels with finer ballbearings - could it be that they move better in all directions?

If the brown wheels are just fine, why are they replacing them with wheels that have better ballbearings? No disrespect to you, if you find them OK, that's fine.

I would like an answer to this question.

Regards, Judy

• 1 month later...

Hello Judy,

I just set up my new Lenni. I feel confident that it is setup properly and it works great moving vertically and horizontally, BUT I AM HAVING A HORRIBLE TIME WITH MOVING DIAGONALLY. I read your message and saw that you reported the same issue. however, I didn't see a resolution reported by you. Have you received a resolution to the problem? Do you have any thing you can offer me as far as lessons learned and who/if anyone i should contact at APQS?

Thanks,

Tammy Isennock

Maryland

Hi Tammy

Yes I got a bit heated with the wheels issue and decided to just order the edgerider wheels. Can't wait for them to arrive - hopefully around Christmas.

Since posting, I've discovered that the carriage that my Lenni sits on flexes with the weight of the machine and this has probably contributed all along to the problem with movement.

I sent photos to Amy Anderson at APQS and she promptly sent me a new carriage.

My husband is going to reinforce the new pan with metal strips, to that I don't have the same problem with the replacement.

You might like to check your carriage - mine had flexed so that it dipped down by one eighth of an inch in the middle.

Which wheels did you get - black or brown?

Judy

Hi all, as you know I was very unhappy with the performance of my wheels, I have the discovery on the 2 piece lenni table.I do not have the edge riders. APQS did replace my brown wheels with the black, and when I finally got a chance to try them, I see no difference. I do fine front to back and left to right but the diagonal is so jerky. I still cannot control the movement and believe me I PPP about 3-6 hours a day still not getting the results I want. I am really curious about the problem and hope APQS will figure out something. I have tried everything they have suggested so far but still can't get the problem fixed Jacque

quiltingmidwife if you are reading this, Just how much sanding did you have to do to make the machine glide smoothly? I have done just enough to remove the roughness but Hubby says he feels little ripples do you feel ripples on yours? just curious.

Folks, you can adjust the brown wheels on the Lenni, to ride exactly in the middle.. You will see a dark ring that will show you if it's in the middle or one side or the other.. If you can't find the info in your manual, call Amy or Christy tomorrow for instructions.. they are free info things, and the gals are great.. I believe they even have an 800 or 888 number to call..

Good Luck, RitaR

I love my two piece table with the Discovery. My husband and I added extra washers to the vertical wheels to fine tune them and the machine rides as smooth as silk. Look in your instructions for how to accomplish this adjustment. I could not be happier with this machine, table and wheels. My stitches are far more even than I thought they would be without a stitch regulator. I like going faaasssst!

Mimi:)

Thanks to everyone for your replies!!!!! I have requested my husband to check the flex in my carriage. last night I confirmed that my BROWN wheels are not exactly riding on the middle, but more to the outside of the wheel, Hubby insisted this came like this from the factory and was not adjustable - after reading to him all these replies, he has now agreed to read the darn manual to figure out how and if we can adjust the wheels. Meanwhile, Amy from APQS has already been in contact with me (missed her call) and hope to speak with her today as to what they advise, so I don't void my warranty. I will post once I have a solution or once I have exhausted all solutions. Thanks again, this forum is very helpful!!!

Hi Everyone,

I notice this thread goes back a long way...took some time to digest :)!

I just want to clarify a couple of things on the Lenni so that everyone is on the same page in regard to adjustments, movement, etc.

First, always call us at the first sign of trouble with your machine. We pride ourselves on customer service, and do our best to make things right with each and every machine we sell.

Second, we hand build each machine, just like you lovingly construct your quilts. That means we put a little bit of ourselves into each machine we make, and we want it to be right. We test each machine with a rigorous sew-off before shipping, to make sure everything is working perfectly.

However, we'd be foolish to think that everything will always be hunky-dory once the machine leaves "the nest." We could sew-off a machine for days on end, but that still doesn't compare to the "real world" it must perform in once it arrives at its new home.

Differences in set up, environment, and quilting styles all necessitate making the machine user friendly as well as adjustable to meet each circumstance. That's why you find adjustable leg heights, spacer washers on axles, and adjustable carriage wheels, and even adjustable stitch length and motor speed :).

As the "official" manual writer, I'm certainly open to suggestions about how to make these adjustments more prominent. Send me an email with your tips...dawn@apqs.com. In the meantime, let's get back to the business at hand:

To check machine movement:

[*] First, check your table in detail for "level" and square. On a Lenni table frame that does not break down, the rails should be parallel to each other. An easy way to check is with a tape measure held across the table in several places.

Since the end brackets hold the two long rails in place, it is possible to have the table together, but not "square". Have you ever had a picture frame that was nailed at the corners, but leaned to one side?

Get a carpenter's square, and lay it inside the table frame in each corner. if the frame isn't square, loosen the bolts in that corner holding the parts together, and align the two metal pieces with the square, then re-tighten. (You may need to loosen all of the bolts in each of the corners to enable you to adjust them.)

[*] Now check the carriage wheels as they ride along the rails. The wheels should ride on the deepest part of their curvature, right in the center.

Today I'm working from home and am relying on memory, so I apologize in advance if I tell you that the rear axle on the carriage is adjustable, but it turns out to be the front (I've got a 50-50 chance of being right :)!)

The rear axle of the Lenni carriage is adjustable, so that you can align it with your rails. Remove the rollers temporarily, along with the sewing head. Loosen the bolts holding the rear axle in place.

Place the carriage on one end of your table, and slide it back and forth along the entire length. This helps align the axle wheels to your table frame. With the carriage still in place on the frame, re-tighten the bolts and check movement again.

[*] Replace the sewing head and rollers. Look at each of the four wheels on the sewing head. They, too, should ride on the carriage lip right in the "center" of the wheel. Sometimes washer spacers are needed to bring the wheels farther "out or in" so that they ride right in the middle of the wheel on your particular carriage.

We have spacer washers at APQS, but you can find them easily at any hardware store as well (or a well-stocked husband's workbench :))

We use 1/4" flat washers in two thicknesses to give flexibility to the spacing needs of each individual machine:

[*] .063 thickness 1/4" flat washer

[*] .032 thickness 1/4" flat washer

You will only need washers for TWO of the wheels on the same side of the machine, since adding spacers to the two left wheels will automatically affect the position of the right wheels, for example.

Add (or remove) washers as needed to the left OR right wheels until the wheels ride centered on the carriage frame.

Now let's address making angled lines:

[*] Once your machine is fine-tuned, re-check your ability to make diagonal lines. Sometimes those adjustments are all it takes to make diagonals easy. However, sometimes it requires something you may not expect: resistance.

[*] Many times I've emphasized how using a longarm is like running an Etch-a-Sketch toy....one knob makes a line up and down, the other makes the line left and right. Practice helps your two hands to work together as one to create smooth diagonal lines.

But for some quilters, the Lenni actually moves too freely. The feeling of floating on air makes it hard to gain control, much like skidding around a corner on an icy street. If you've practiced and practiced and still have trouble, try temporarily adding weight to the Lenni sewing head. You can do it simply by flopping a bag of rice or dried beans on top of the sewing head (okay, make another trip to your hubby's tool shed and borrow his favorite tool--duct tape) and secure it if needed.

Try the movements again. Any better? Your goal would be to eventually eliminate that extra resistance. Perhaps each week you cook rice for supper and remove a little from the bag on the machine, gradually reducing the resistance.

For diagonals in particular, use good technique. Move faster rather than slower to overcome the inertia. The machine will WANT to stay on its horizontal or vertical axis. You have to be the boss and tell it to use BOTH axes when you move around corners.

An extended base is a must for straight diagonal lines, but not for general quilting. Look ahead of you, and anticipate where you want to go, not where you are.

Well, this got so long I'm getting confused with the scroll bar to check back and see what I said, so I'm wrapping it up. Just know that we're a phone call away; the forum is a great place after hours, but don't forget that we're also there for you, but can't help if you don't call! :)

Dawn:

I love your DVD that comes with the machine. Do you have any others I could purchase? You really have a gift for teaching. I homeschool my daughter and have learned to recognize the teachers that are blessed with the ability to impart their knowledge in a way students can understand.

Great manuals too. I have the Discovery manual and the Lenni. Very well written. I have a thing for sewing machine manuals. My favorite is an old Necchi manual. The manual writer urges the user to use good quality oil in their machines, not the olive oil that so many others use.

I am so glad you came with my machine!

Thanks,

Mimi

Dawn

I'd forgotten how heated I'd been about my table and wheels until someone recently dragged this one up!

Let me say I love my Lenni and do not regret purchasing him and to anyone reading this forum I have no hesitation in recommending an APQS machine.

I've just had issues with the two piece table, carriage and wheels that have made quilting frustrating.

On the flip side, I've had to get to know my machine setup practically inside out and that's been a good thing. Feeling confident in how it works and what to do when it's not is so important, especially when lot's of us are in isolated locations.

Thankyou for taking the time to provide a comprehensive reply.

Judy

Mimi,

Just to clarify the wheel adjustments...

On Lenni and Lucey, the wheels ride vertically on a track or lip. The "adjustment" I refer to means aligning them with that track or lip with the wheel "dead center" for easy movement. It's like a train track.

However, on the horizontal wheel systems with the Millennium, Freedom SR and Liberty, the wheels adjust in and out and can create more fluid movement, or add some resistance, depending on the user's preference. Those wheels act more like the wheels and rails on a monorail system.

I'm sure Judy will respond, but wanted to make sure once again we were comparing the right things.

Thanks!

Dawn:

I understand about the wheels. I have a unique machine; a Discovery with vertical brown wheels on the lenni portable table. Isn't that the same thing Judy has but with the Lenni?

Her earlier post sounded as if she was unaware that the wheels could be adjusted with washers. I was just hoping for her sake that the problem had been solved by this simple adjustment.

Mimi

Vertically Wheeled Discovery:)

Archived