Removing Top roller bar Need a pic

Does anyone have a pic of their top Roller removed and replaced with PVC or another option. I float and want to get closer to the quilting. I've heard about PVC but wanted a visual.

Maybe APQS has a replacement part for that.

Thanks Grammie

Tammie, I had mine off for awhile and made a bracket out of PVC the same width as the roller bar and only long enough (and then some) to put the break on. I used my Drummel to put a grove in it just enough to slide it on the bolt nice and tight to hold it. It worked fine, but I ended up putting the bar back on and I don't remember why. It can't hurt to try.

We do have a part for what you are wanting to do...it's called the Texas Hold'em bracket. It is a short version of the quilt top roller, with a bracket that attaches the roller to the table leg using the large nut under the eye bolt that holds your top roller.

2005050440064681126S425x425Q85.jpg

It is $49.95 plus S&H through the factory. Hope this info helps!

I bought an adapter for just this purpose. I think it is called "The Little Adapter". Similar to the one at APQS. I read about it on this forum. I've used it for about a year now and love not having the top bar in my way. I did a quick look for the invoice with more information but couldn't locate it quickly. I think it was about $35. Perhaps a search of the archives or someone else knows the real name and the maker. I believe it came from California.

Sorry, not a lot of help.

Originally posted by Littleshoes

I was thinking I would like to take that bar off too so that you can get another inch of quilting space. However, I like the tension that bar gives my quilt sandwich and don't think I want to give that up.

Removing the bar will not give you more quilting space. The back side of the throat will hit the take up bar a good inch before you would hit the front roller. The only way that would gain you more space would be to remove the take up bar as well and that is not an option!:D

It doesn't give you more space, but I think Tammie was looking for more of visual space. I didn't like not having an arm rest lol. And I have gone back to loading some of my tops as it does keep things better aligned, for me anyway.

Tammie, you will have to let use know how you like it.

I took my top bar off about a month ago, and my DH made a PVC stop for me. I like not having to push the batting and top under the bar to load. I also feel like my viewing area is bigger, and I don't have to reach over the bar to quilt. That said, I am not happy with my curtain rod setup to keep the clamps up (although I read a post recently, suggesting pinning the elastic end to the quilt sides instead of clamping, and this works). Also, if you use a front port or had a tray that rested on the front bar, these will no longer work. (Why didn't I think of that before?) But all in all, I am planning to leave the bar off for the near future.

Oh I wasn't looking for more space just more comfortable space for detail quilting. For ETE and most quilting the top bar doesn't bother me. I float everything. I find I keep it square much better and ease in any fullness if I have it in a quilt. The only way I would get more space is with a larger throat.

I baste really well when doing detail stuff. I cannot wait to get my larger extended base. I have someone looking at making me one.

Grammie

• 6 years later...

Kristina and Amy, I am having trouble finding the pictures you link to. Amy on that Webshots, I only get a place to sign up to get an email from them. Then I went and registered, but don't find a place to put in the link to find your picture. Someone else on here also linked to Webshots and I got the same result.

Kristina, your link takes me to the the APQS forum page where you click on the area you want to explore. It does not connect to a page like this with a number of postings.

What am I doing wrong?

Nancy

Archived