Into the Shadows

Into the Shadows

First of all I’d like to say how much I enjoy this forum. There are so many talented and inspiring quilters on this forum. I love seeing all the beautiful quilts and the extraordinary quilting. I also enjoy reading all the helpful advice giving on this forum, I have learned a lot. But what is truly inspiring is the compassion displayed amongst you women.

Now to the subject at hand. I would like to say that most of you here don’t know me very well and what you do know of me is through comments I have made here and on Webshots. I recently received a so called anonymous message/email from a fellow member of this forum. I was very surprised and taken back by this message. With that being said I would like to apologize to anyone who may have been offended by any comments I may have made. This was never my intention and I am sorry. I was told in this message that I need to wake up and open my eyes, this forum is primarily for women. This message stated that my comments and input are not wanted nor welcomed and I would realize this if I would review previous comments that I have posted. I was told I would see that there are no remarks about any comments I had made. After going back and reviewing, it seems that this statement does have some validation. This message also stated that I would be doing myself and everyone else here a favor by keeping my comments to myself and return to the shadows where I came from. Again I would like to apologize if I over stepped my bounds or on anyone’s toes….I am sorry. So from now I will keep my comments to myself and return to the shadows.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummmm, it's not like we're running around here in our panties or something. Whoever said that has made a sexist remark if I ever heard one. I guess my DH shouldn't be welcome at my LQS either? (The ladies love it when he comes in.) Of course you're welcome here. And don't read more into responses to posts than there really is.

Terri S.

Liam,

I have to 2nd Linda's response. Of course you and your opinions and comments are welcome! This is not an exclusive club.

I have no idea who this message came from, but he/she has a lot of nerve thinking they speak for me. I think you should use the "delete" button on that message.

I would be very sad if you went back "into the shadows."

Stay! And contribute often! :cool:

I also will tell you that you will get alot of people asking you NOT to go away.

All comments are welcome here.

This is America and all of us are free to voice out feelings and concerns,if someone does not agree with a statement,just state on why and be pleasant about it or just be quiet.

Life is too darn short be negative and evil and mean.

I could go on and on but I won't because it is BAD KARAMA or AKA...PAYBACKS ARE A B*****. This person will get theirs.

ONLY COWARDS USE THE CLOAK OF ANONYMITY:mad:

(I would do this in bold and underline but I can't get it to work:( )

You are welcome and just because we didn't reply to something doesn't mean anything other than we had nothing to say at that moment. Anyone male or female is welcome here that is one thing APQS takes pride in is that our forum is open to all. So don't you slip back into the shadows unless it is what you want. I don't post often because there are so many good answers give that I don't have have any thing to add.

UNBELIEVABLE

I really cannot believe that anyone would say such a thing, I wish if that is how they feel that they would state it openly on the forum and not anonamously either. I am sorry that you got such a hateful message, I read this forum all the time and have never seen anything that you posted that was not kind and encouraging. The fact that you are a man should never enter into this, we as women want to be accepted as equals when we enter a typically man's vocation we want to be accepted as equal. This is no different, this forum is not for women only it is for quilters no matter what their sex may be.

I am sorry Liam that someone would assume that they speak for everyone and told you that you were not welcomed or wanted, and thank you for telling us so that we can reassure you they do not speak for everyone.

No, do not return to the shadows. Please

Male or female I don't really care as long as you are respectful of others opinions. Now mind you that that person had to email you off forum to state their mind. I'm sorry that there are people out there that would think that they can speak for all members of the forum. I certainly have never thought anything you have posted was offensive. I think that the greatest thing about this forum is that everybody shares their experiences so freely. Now I do have to say there are some that get their panties in a wad over the silliest things! Life is too short. Please don't feel like you have to go to the shadows and be afraid to post! There have been a few posts where I see it take a personal tone and that's too bad. Everybody has a right to their opinion and I have the right to respectively disagree but I don't feel like I have the right to tell you to stay away. I don't imagine anybody has that right other than the owners at APQS that give us this wonderful place to chat!

I don't feel that way. The more the merrier. I have lurked here for a long time and just not started to post once in a while. You are just as welcome here as I am and please keep posting. Don't let one person speak for the rest of us. Whast a hateful and unhappy person it must have been. Now I suppos I'll get an e-mail too. Oh well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liam, I am new and have only been on here for a few weeks, but have really enjoyed everyones comments. When I read your note my heart just sank to think someone would write such an unkind message.

I hope that you will continue to communicate and share with us. I think we all have something to bring to the forum. I feel like I take away from this forum 99% more than I could ever contribute. But I hope someday I will learn and do quilting well enough to be able to contribute some help for someone.

Debbie

Liam,

I think it is great that we have quite a few male quilters that join us in this forum.

I can't say that I have read every comment made as I skim these posts, only stopping at the ones I really fancy.

I also only post when I can add something worthwhile to what others have said. Often questions are answered before "The Down Underers" awaken.

Please stay so we can all enjoy each others company.

Lyn

I have been in the shadows and enjoying this forum, but I cannot believe that a quilter would be so unkind as to make you feel unwelcome! I have enjoyed your comments and feel that you are to be commended for sharing your joy of longarm quilting with others! Please continue to do so!

Judy

Liam, please do not retreat to the shadows. While I don't read every post by every poster, I have never found anything in your posts that I found even a little bit offensive. If this one person doesn't like what you (or anyone else) has to say, he/she simply does not have to read it.

Ok Liam, first of all your are just as welcome here as any woman. If a person sends you an e-mail and won't give their name they are not much of a person. There are many many talented quilters who are men. I value your advice as much as anyones here in forum. Please do not say your are sorry, for what?. I know you will get a lot of reply's. Keep chatting with us I like advice from men as well as women. Just my 2 cents worth.

Nora

Millennium

Washougal Wa

Liam, DON'T YOU DARE!! And yes, I mean the emphasis!! This forum is not just for women and I think the woman who sent you that anonymous (read cowardly) message is the one that should not be on this list.

Your comments are valid and I think you'll find that if you go back and read through random messages, not everyone's posts are "answered," per se. People read parts of posts or sometimes read the whole thing, agree or disagree, but still don't post responses.

Please, please, don't let this one nasty woman spoil your experience with this group! I like having a male opinion (even if I do think it a little odd that you have llamas;); but then, I have horses so to each his (or her) own:P:P)

Seriously, though, please do not fade away...make comments, share your 2 cents with everyone else.

And to whoever sent that message; if you don't have the courage to identify yourself to Liam and apologize for such a mean spirited comment, YOU do not belong on this list.

Well all I can say is you are very welcome here and I love it that men are quilting.

I have found that if you get nasty stuff off board than you know you have "made" it to the group.

It has happened to A LOT of us!!!! You can't make everyone happy. I don't read everything so have

no idea what you said, LOL, but I'm going to go search for it. LOL.

Don't let it bother you!!!

Michele

Originally posted by Liam1964

..... I recently received a so called anonymous email from a fellow member of this forum....I was told in this message that I need to wake up and open my eyes, this forum is primarily for women.... that my comments and input are not wanted nor welcomed

WHAAAAAAT???????? :o

The nerve of this person to anonymously write this. Shame on them. This is disgusting. That is the most horrible tacky tasteless thing.

Now Liam, I am shocked that someone had the audacity to write anonymously to you. I hope this person reads this post and realizes they should be ashamed of themselves. I could care less who you are. You can be black, white, Chinese, Muslim, tall, short, fat skinny, man, woman, old, young, gay, straight, divorced, married, has 20 kids or no kids, is one brick shy of a full load, or has all your marbles, is just curious about quilting, only been quilting a few years, or been quilting your entire life, hate dogs, love cats, is afraid of spiders...has a Gammill, an A-1 or another machine or has no machine...who cares... we all love quilting and it does not matter. Everyone is welcome here. Everyone. That means you. And, unfortnately, that also means this cowardly, wicked, evil horrible person is welcome here too.

I hope you stay. :)

The nerve off the person that sent you the message, to feel as they can speak for me. I second all the comments above, you are very welcome on this forum. Why we have such cruel and hateful people in this world I do not understand. Please stay and please comment as you see fit. I for one would miss your imput.

Liam,

Don't you dare disappear! )Ou are just as welcome here as I am and I don't even have my machine yet. Let me guess, there was no signature on the email and it was from a very generic address. I got nailed about a month ago when I post asking for info on disabilities. I got 2 emails, from 2 different addresses with no signatures, and addresses that gave no indication of the senders name. Last year someone here caused big problems for anothe quilter here. Apparently we have a cowardly trouble maker lurking that definatly needs to spend some time in a rubber suit. I've been to your webshots, love your photography BTw. I wonder if someone is just picking on the disabled on this site? We have lots of guys on here, and not everyone responds to every post, so don't be offended, please.

Also, please allow me to thank you for your service, you are an American hero, we need more of those!

Archived