HELP, I don't trust my Janome dealer

I just bought some needles and I think they have given me the wrong ones...I also said this before I bought them, but they told me they would work.

Do we have any Janome dealers here or someone who can help me.

I am working with my Janome Memory Craft 6500 and have used in the past the Organ Needles 15X1PD's (Titanium) and when I went into another Janome dealer (the other one lost my machine last year won't go back into them) they insisted that I was using the wrong one and needed to purchase the HLX5 also Titanium. When you hold up the HLX5 they are longer. Now before I use one and do damage to my NEW machine I need HELP.....

Thanks in advance...I did go to the Janome site, they give numbers for their own needles, nothing for Schmetz or Organ, and when going to the Organ site they only give sizes, I didn't see anything to mention a special machine only usage for the needles.

I don't have a Janome but have used the Organ needles in 2 Brothers and a Viking that I no longer have, plus do use them in the Pfaffs that I currently have. I still have packages of some of the needles that I purchased early on and they show 15x1. I don't have titanium needles, but shouldn't matter because I think the numbers refer to the needle size. The newer packages show HAx1. What I think you might have now with the HLx5 are needles intended for the quilting machines with the 9" throat. I can't say for certain, but I would not used them until I got absolute clarification.

I did a Google search for HLX5 and at the Allbrands web site is this comment which sounds like they are for the quilting machines:

Organ has finally developed a Schmetz-quality 15x1 Quilting Needle for Juki TL98E, Brother PQ1500 and all the other home sewing machines used for quilting.

Linzi had the Megaquilter and I had the Pfaff Grand Quilter - same machine. I sold my Pfaff Grand Quilter so don't have any of the needles around any more, but if Linzi says the HLx5 were for her Megaquilter then DEFINITELY DO NOT PUT THEM IN YOUR JANOME!!!!!! I think you need another Janome dealer!

Hi Bonnie,

I have the Janome 6600 and use plain old Schmedz needles 80/12 for piecing, 90/14 for free motion quilting if I'm sitting at the machine. The Janome 6600 is the model just after the 6500 with the AccuQuilt built in walking foot. Both machines are basically the same model the newer 6600 has some added features is all---

All my needles say 130/705 be they Schmetz or organ. I'm sure your machine takes regular sewing machine needles. If your new ones are longer they may hit the bobbin and even if not then the timing will probably be out as the hook will be in the wrong place relative to the scarf on the back of the needle.

Now how stupid was that Dory I didn't think to call Mike earlier. Just got off the phone with him and he said NO THEY are to long so don't use them.

They are up for sale. Not at home right now as I am at the fair with the kids. Email me and I will pop into mail tomorrow.

Will tell the "lost" tomorrow or you can go back to 1 year ago exactly and find the saga.

Need to go find the kids. Thanks everyone for looking you are all a huge help.

Originally posted by Carin

Bonnie, HLx5 is ok for you machine, see here http://www.organneedles.com/media/pdf/ORGAN_product_range_envelope_2009.pdf, look on page 4.

Thanks Karin that is just what I was looking for....however Mike suggested that if they are even slightly longer than the normal needles that I use that there would be a chance that they would go through the bottom of the bobbin housing...so I just decided that they might not work and not take the chance.

Yes, Schemtz needles are GREAT and I have used enough in my sewing life that they should give me a few stocks to their company, but believe it or not I have found that Titanium needles are sharper and last longer...I can piece 3 or 4 large quilts without having to change needles. Now if I break one then that's my stupid self being me, but they really are sharper and last longer.

I have also moved to the Titanium needles in the LA as well, and my stitches are smoother and I don't seem to change as many there either. Now is it me or the needle I can't say for sure, but I don't go through as many and when they break they don't shatter and leave pieces all over and in the machine...they normally just bend and not alway snap.

NOW to the story for those who haven't heard it yet about how I had one of my machines lost last year.

I took my "Original" Janome Memory Craft 6500 into a local dealer for them to send it to New Jersery for repairs...it was skipping stitches and needed a general all over spa treatment. They told me it would be back in about 2-3 weeks.... at week 6 or so can't remember exactly, I called them to inquire about it and was told that they were sorry but the machine seemed to be lost. I asked how long they had known this and they said that they knew about it about week 2, but were hoping it would just show up. I then asked why I hadn't been informed when they knew and am now having to find out AFTER I called them to see what, where and when. (not only that but the owner made one of the clerks tell me...the owner was the one who answered the phone...grrrr) The answer I got was they just hoped it would show up someplace...it hadn't gotten to the UPS dock in Albany. Either the driver took it, or someone snagged if off the truck when the driver wasn't looking...stupid them its not all there and its broken.

The next day they called me back saying that UPS was in fact looking into it, but that I would have to come up with $some dollars to replace it because they hadn't put enough onto it for insurance replacement value. They had insured it for $1000 and they needed me to come up with the rest to be able to replace it. I blew up...and said I'm not the one who lost it, and no I wasn't going to, period. They then said "Well it's just a used machine and you can't expect us to replace it with a NEW one can you?" MY reply was yes I do, and I know that a wholesale machine is around $1000 so why should I chip in and help you. They again came back and stated that it was "Just a USED MACHINE". My answer was no it wasn't a used machine...it was my machine and I wasn't selling it as a used machine it was going for repairs.

Long story short, the machine was lost in late July early August I found out about it mid September...FINALLY they gave up listening to me and provided me with a NEW machine in late November early December, and now they expect me to take my machine back to them for repairs and all my accessories....NOPE its not going to happen...I'll find someone new or I'll do business by mail and ship things back and forth from Nevada. End of story...I don't trust them, and the people who I just talked with didn't really know what they were doing, and that's why I wasn't sure about the needles. They visually are longer than the 15x1's that I am using so I won't be using them...

GOOD news that I didn't know...Mike told me yesterday that Schmetz is now making a Titanium, so am on the hunt for them, if I can't find them locally I will be calling him and ordering from afar.

Bonnie,

I don't know what type of needles you use but http://www.sewingmachine.com does sell Schmetz titanium embroidery needles if those are of any use to you. They are also a good source for Isacord and several other threads.

Sue

http://www.sewingmachine.com/cgi-bin/sesewing/scan/fi=products/st=db/co=yes/sf=category/se=Schmetz_Embroidery/op=eq/tf=price/to=n/tf=sku/to=f

Sheesh, the things you learn here. I have the Janome Memory Craft 6600P and when I bought it they sold me the Schmetz needles. I have used all different sizes and never had a problem. I guess I am lucky but will switch to a different needle. I pretty much only use this machine as a back up now and for other reasons do not use the dealer where I bought my machine.

• 5 years later...

Archived