EZQ - tension problems

I purchased a 17 yr old EZQ a few months ago - and I just can't get the proper tension. I'll go for a bit just fine, but then I get huge birds nest tangles on the bottom - and the top thread breaks. The machine came with a video, which very clearly talks about tension - and both my hubby and I have tested, and tested . . . but still no luck. I have yet to get a quilt on the frame as I don't want to ruin the quilt top. :( Any suggestions? ..... hanging by one loose thread!! Bev

Bev,

I don't know what an EZQ is but have you looked to make sure the hook assembly doesn't need to be replaced or checked to make sure there are no burrs? You should check the hook, throat place and thread guides for burrs. You can use a piece of batting to run along these areas and if there is a burr it will snag the batting. If that isn't it then check timing next. Good luck.

Since its been a few years since I have even seen a picture of one of these little guys I'm trying to remember how they are threaded, but first off have you cleaned it, by blowing compressed air and WD40 into the hook assembly, and then reblown that out and applied a good amount of oil in that area. Also check to see that there isn't any lint under the tension spring on the outside of your bobbin case....that will also cause your bobbin to not hold a correct tension.

Then I would check the tension on my bobbin and make sure its correct. Each of us have our bobbin tensions set differently, but I personally like it tight enough that I can actually pick up the bobbin by the thread and then give it a jiggle and have the bobbin case drop down the thread about 3-6 inches....if it doesn't then I loosen it up and if it falls further than that I tighten it up.

Then I would make sure that the machine it threaded correctly...making sure that the thread goes through the tension wheels correctly. With the needle in its mid stroke and with thread in the needle I would pull the thread towards the back of the machine and see how it pulls. If you are getting any resistance I might either loosen up if to much drag or tighten up if to slack. There should be a bit of drag when pulling the thread toward the back it should not just pull loosy goosy. AND if it snaps then I would loosen up the top tension.

Lastly...check to make sure that there aren't any burrs on the needle or the pressure plate...or even on the hook itself....

NOW you said you get a big birds nest in the bottom...that is normally caused (at least on my ULT II) of either not having the thread in the bobbin correctly, the bobbin could be backwards and coming off wrong, or the backlash spring in the bottom of the bobbin is worn out or need to be brought up a bit. What I find caused birds nest is that the bobbin is unwinding faster than the machine can sew...and when the machine stops the thread spins in the bobbin housing a couple of extra turns unwinding more thread.

AND lastly, do you know if your thread is a good spool or has it gone bad. Threads do sour and we hate to part with them, but if it snaps to easily it might be a bad spool.

Lastly I would check to see if the needle is coming down into the bobbin correctly and the up stroke is hitting the needle in a good timing spot. But I don't think this is a timing issue as much as I think it is a tension issue.

Hope this gives you a bit more of a place to check...

Hi Little House Creations

I'd give Amy a call on this one due to the age of the EZQ. Since you have done all the usual things to fix the tension, it could need new needlebar bushings, a new hook assembly or adjustment or any number of things. Those EZQs will go on for ever so it might be worthwhile considering shipping it to the factory for a professional service.

Sue in Australia

Bev

I have one of these machine the EZQ, but haven't used it in years,,, I never traded mind in when I upgraded to the Ulitmate II...

These EZQ are work horses... I quilted over 1000 quilts on mind when I used mind,,,

Certain thread type I couldn't use on mind,,, Once you fine a good thread that does well for the machine,,, I only used that all the time,,, Superior thread works great,,, as well as Surlock from JoAnn's....I used So-Fine from Superior,,,You have a tension problem if you have birdnest...Keep working with your tension,,, don't move it very much ,,and keep doing this till you fine the spot,,,you don't want it too tight or too loose,,, These are a very heavy machine,,,and does a very good job,,, This is what I learned on,, Polyster thread does not work good on this machine,,, at least it didn't for me. sound like you could just have a thread problem...

If you still have problem,, e-mail me and I will try and help you all I can,

Wilma

• 1 year later...

I have a ez Quilter. Actually for sale. Is the little wire on the top tension still there? I have broken that and needed replacing. Easy to do.

If you have broken needles maybe the hook replaces or you can sand the nicks/burrs out with emery (?) cloth. I know you can use a nail emery board to sand knitting needles.

Barb/VT

Archived