please ignore

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

I'm just looking for a place to upload a picture I need on the web for another purpose. My advice to you all: If you want a long career as a longarm quilter, do not do this to your back!

post--13461902946022_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Linda S

I have to admit that this is quite painful. I fell over backwards 2.5 years ago and landed with my tailbone on the corner of my lawnmower engine (I caught my heel on the lawnmower deck). Ruptured the three bottom discs in my spine. Turned out I already had arthritis and degenerative disc disease, so the wreck made the vertebrae sort of tilt and I ended up with scoliosis. I had surgery last November, so I'm a little over a year out of surgery. I am quite stiff, but I go to physical therapy every week (very handsome physical therapist, who has become a friend) and I deal with it. I'm actually much more comfortable at my quilting machine than I am at my desk in the office!!

• 9 months later...

As a nurse ~ I just have to ask ~ what the heck happened there?! Looks like a spinal fusion or repair of some kind. Are those screws? The 'this is beyond belief' reaction I had looking at this xray reminds me of an Alzhiemer's patient I cared for once who kept trying to hand himself a piece of paper in the mirror--was getting very frustrated and upset and kept returning to the mirror many times throughout the day doing the same thing. I couldn't stand watching him being so frustrated, so I took a black felt tip pen and put wavy lines horizonitally across the mirror with a 2" space between them hoping he would see that there was a barrier between what he thought was himself and the other man. So after a while he walked up to the mirror and studied it for a moment then said, "I'll tell you what--that was one hell of a mudslide!" I feel for you needing such a lot of spinal repair--that must have been one heck of a recovery!

Linda

The pain can be excrutiating, some days woarse than others...expecially when the weather changes! I feel for you girl.

Chronic pain is not easy to deal with. It can be physically and mentally draining. Thank goodness that the good Lord gave us skills such as sewing and listening to music in order to help us "zone out" when the pain gets bad. As hard as it may seem at times, keep on smiling, keep on moving...look forward, don't look back. My prayers are with you!

• 6 years later...

Archived