compuquilter vs intelliquilter

quiltingbird2

I too am ready to take the plunge and computerize my Millenium, but it is very confusing. I would love to hear any feedback on why you chose compuquilter or intelliquilter. Also can anyone tell me if these systems run on Windows 7, Vista, or XP? Pros and Cons please. Thanks for your help:)

When I bought my Liberty I was told that it was not recommended to put a computerized system on it because it will cut down on quilting space, on a machine with less to start with. Have you checked with someone at APQS about the advisability of this?

I am curious to hear your answers, although at this time I don't have the money for the system. But it would be nice to know, anyway.

I could be mistaken but I don't think you loose any quilting space Edge to edge and blocks are sized to fit your quilt in the set up. If you are doing a block larger the your space of course you would have to do it in sections . As you would with a stencil or freehand

I have IQ and I love it. It is so versatile. You do lose about 6" at the left hand end due to the motor sitting on the track. There is lots of help and support on the IQ yahoo group and videos on u tube.

I love the fact that you just tap on the screen to connect/disconnect the system so you can fill in bits freehand or baste the sides of the quilt without having to unplug lots of wires.

IQ runs on its own system (Linux) but you can't do anything on that computer except the IQ stuff. You download patterns from the internet onto your normal computer then transfer them to the IQ tablet with a memory stick.

If you get it you won't regret it.

Yvette

"You do lose about 6" at the left hand end due to the motor sitting on the track.

I love the fact that you just tap on the screen to connect/disconnect the system so you can fill in bits freehand or baste the sides of the quilt without having to unplug lots of wires."

**There is no loss of space with CompuQuilter as the motor is not sitting on the track.

I'm not sure where the misconception about "having to unplug lots of wires" comes from, but it's not true. You quickly (maybe 10 seconds) loosen 2 wing nuts and you're freewheeling for freehand or ruler work.

As for being able to take the IQ computer off the machine to play or design, I find that to be a disadvantage. With CQ I can be quilting a quilt AND playing with designs on my laptop or any other computer as we have what is called a "demo" version included with the system. We also get PreDesign II for digitizing your own patterns. This is a very user friendly software.

I also like the stability of the cables on CQ versus the friction motors on the IQ. I never get any "drift" on the patterns. I know some IQ users do and some have stated that they don't have drift.

Each system has it's own unique features and all systems are constantly adding new features. Upgrades for CQ are free as I believe they are with IQ as well.

I'm affiliated and proud to be an Authorized CompuQuilter Dealer. :D

As you are in the US you can compare systems in the flesh. I have never seen compuquilter as there is no rep in the UK. I only looked at Statler as an alternative. The rep for IQ only lives 30 miles away and holds meetings a few times a year which is useful backup.

I have pre design on my non IQ computer, so I can design if I want to, while the IQ is quilting away I am usually pinning the next quilt, doing the binding,piecing, bookwork or any one of the million other jobs waiting to be done.

I like to be able to take the IQ away from the machine to play so I'm not always stuck in the same place. It sounds as if the two systems are both good. Its just down to what particular features suits your way of working.

Interesting, I have the IQ and love, love, love it. I don't loose any quilting space because the canvas ends prior to the rails/stops. I have a 10ft table, the space after the canvas is plenty big for the motor space. Both systems are great, it's like LA machines it's what "you" like and how much you have to spend. We all love the brand of computer we have! I like being able to take my "tablet" off my machine and take it to classes or if I'm going on a trip I can work on quilt designs or practice my features while riding in the car, plane, train, etc. I also have Loe's Pre-Design and can make my own digital patterns and load them into the IQ. I also like the ability to just push a button (or not turn on the IQ) and I'm in freemotion or anything else the Millie has. The IQ and Compuquilt do not void the machines warranty. I'm told that the Statler can be put on our machines but it isn't easy and it probably voids the warranty because they have to go inside our machines. You really need to try the systems for yourself. If you ask on here or the computer systems websites, you can probably find someone who has them close by. I live in Virginia Beach, VA, if anyone close wants to see the IQ.

You have about an inch in front of the back bar and an inch behind the front bar. I think you can remove your quilt top bar in front and get a few more inches. Then you would have to float your quilt tops. I never pin, I always float. I use pins or those white clamps to hold the quilt down.

I too have 18.5"

I've been researching for a couple clients and correct me if I'm wrong but the IQ controls are mounted on a sleek display above the head of the machine right there while you quilt but the CQ is on a computer separate from the head over to the side of the quilt somewhere. That fact alone sets the two apart for me. I'd much rather have the controls at my finger tips while I quilt instead of having to turn my head and body to look at the screen.

http://www.compuquilter.com/compuquilter/floor_plan

I love my IQ, but I know that CQ is also a good system. I think each person has to make their own choice. I choose IQ for the following reasons:

No cables - I use my table (panto side) as a cutting table part of the time and with IQ - my table is completely clear

Ease of use - basically no initial learning curve - you just continue to learn more as you go along

Ease of switching between manual and computer driven

Tremendous - fantastic support from my dealer & great videos & forum on the internet - haven't found a question that couldn't be answered 24/7

price - it was a little less money

I am able to do a tremendous amount of designing and adjusting designs on the IQ without an additional program.

It is a tough choice & I wish you luck as you make your decision.

Matt, you are correct the IQ is a "Tablet" computer that fits in a bracket on millie's head. You can't take it off and work on the computer (tablet) off the machine. All you need when off the head is a power cord because the "tablet" has a battery just like a regular laptop. Someone posted pictures on here a few months ago but I couldn't find them. I think they were under this catagory. IQ will be at MQX.

Let me start off by saying that I am an IQ dealer so I'm sure I'm a bit prejudiced. :)

Are you anywhere near an IQ or CQ dealer? Just like shopping for a longarm, it would be great if you could get your hands on one and see how you like it.

For me, my favorite feature is the ability to move my computer to a specific spot on the quilt and "click" that position into the computer. Basically IQ turns the machine into a giant mouse and your table into a giant mouse pad. The software runs on Linux and I was happy not to have to deal with a Windows machine (I'm a total Mac girl). The software is very similar to paint programs you've got on your computer now. It is incredibly intuitive and you can accomplish many tasks a number of ways so it is very easy to figure out.

I haven't had an issue with drifting or shifting. I think our horizontal wheels reduce this issue considerably. I know I've talked to other APQS IQ owners who also haven't had to deal with drifting. It is important to keep the wheels and the rails wiped down- basic maintenance goes a long way toward preventing issues.

Take a look at a few of the many tutorial videos out there to see how IQ works. They are a good way to virtually test drive (if there is such a thing!) :)

Feel free to contact me with any questions. Both system are good but one will "speak" to you more (kinda like shopping for longarm machines, eh?)

Oh, and join the IQ yahoo group. You'll find a ton of IQ owners there that you can chat with and find out why they made the decision they did. They are also a great resource to use if you do decide to get IQ. They challenge and inspire each other with new ways to stretch the system to do some pretty incredible things!

HTH!

Hi Quilting Bird--

If you want to learn about the IQ, a good way is to join the Intelliquilter Yahoo group. You may not understand some of the discussions since you don't have an IQ yet, but you will find out some really neat things that IQ is capable of doing. You will also hear over and over that customer service and help is always an e-mail away.

Read my blog of 3-1-2010 where I describe how I sent out a SOS on a Saturday night! Also, some of my posts in December were about having the IQ added and then immediately quilting a gorgeous panto on a queen sized quilt!

;)

Well, I love love love my IQ, but you need to learn about both systems to make an informed decision that suits your preferences.

Wanda Brown

WandaGeneQuilts

http://wandagenequilts.blogspot.com

Comments on previous posts: IQ and CQ both have their good points, however, to be fair I need to point out the following similarities:

No cables - I use my table (panto side) as a cutting table part of the time and with IQ - my table is completely clear

----SAME FOR CQ: I use the panto side as a cutting table too...cables are under the rails.

Ease of use - basically no initial learning curve - you just continue to learn more as you go along

--I found it easy to start working with CQ

Ease of switching between manual and computer driven

----SAME FOR CQ: wing nuts make it quick to change to manual and back to CQ

I currently have CQ on my Millie and am considering putting IQ on my Lenni. Both are great programs. I easily design on my laptop: I have several design softwares on my laptop. I do like being able to design on my laptop wherever I am.

Both great systems. We've had both. The stitch quality of a computerized system is largely based on the machine that is is combined with and the digitizing quality of the designs used. There are a lot of other variables such as sewing speed, the way a quilt is loaded, and all the other variables that go along with quilting anyway. So because an APQS machine has great stitches without a computerized system it will have great stitches with one added.

Re: Space -

CQ: We would've lost a little space front to back with the CQ however, I simply lowered my stop sensors so that I could go right up to the rails if I wanted. The only thing is that if you do that you do need to be really aware of how much space you have available in relation to the size of the design being used. I never had any problem as long as I double checked the measurement of my spacing for a design.

IQ: We lost just a small amount of space on the right hand side because of where the X motor is mounted. Not a big deal. The lost is beyond where the end of my canvases are.

Re: Ease of Use -

Both are easy to use in my opinion. The key is to learn enough at the beginning to do the things that you need to do in order to keep your business going & then to devote some time each week to learning something new. Also, people need to cut themselves some slack - regardless of the system you won't learn & retain everything in 1 day. Practice the things you know, try new things and know when to walk away or go freehand.

I am prejudice, but it's more toward computer assisted quilting in general Here are some great reasons to go with a computerized system, either IQ or CQ ( by the way we've tried many and IQ & CQ are our 2 top picks):

1) You can be doing other things while your quilting machine & system work for you. It's like having an employee that you can make work for you anytime you want. This was huge for me. I go digitize while testing patterns and with 2 systems I can even have a real quilt sewing out and test patterns at the same time. Yay!! You can do a lot of other stuff in 15-30 minutes while a panto row sews out.

2) After initial learning curve it is far less stressful. I can take heirloom quilting jobs & not sweat it any more than I would sweat an E2E. Every block & design will be perfect everytime.

3) I don't get board doing 20 billion blocks of the same thing!!! I can design one & then have the computer system work to sew the rest for the quilt - Whooohooo this is one of my favorite things!

4) THIS IS A BIG ONE--- You save your body. I know that I will probably be able to quilt until I'm 100 if I want. I've saved a ton on Chiropractor & PT bills. I can still quilt on days when arthritis is acting up.

I still love doing freehand, the difference is that now I get to choose how to spend the time I have for freehand instead of doing something repetative that a computer could be doing.

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting IQ installed on my Milli next month so I really don't have any experience on it yet. Except when I got to try it out in demo mode (off the machine) at the Midwest Quilter meeting. Thank you, Debbi. I am so impressed with it. I did do some research on the computers available and all the information that IQ has in the training videos and the IQ forum convinced me it's the one to go with. The ease of just pushing a button to go from computerized to free-hand is a great feature. I've also been having back problems and even though I'm not very old :D At least I don't think so! The IQ will help tremendously and not have to put stress on my back very much. I also like being able to take the tablet off the machine and design new quilt layouts while I watch TV with my family and just play with it off the machine.

Can't wait to try it out.

Another little (to me big) perk of IQ is being able to to freehand stitch a design and record it at the same time so if I have a dozen of the same type blocks, I only have to manually stitch it once. If I make up a pantograph on paper, I can trace it and record it at the same time. If there is a repeat on the panto, which there is usually, I only have to record the little bit of design until I come to a repeat. The IQ will make it into a panto to cover the whole quilt space.

I switch back and forth constantly between IQ and manual when I do custom work. I can't imagine walking around the machine to disconnect the computer. I just touch a button and it is switched is a couple of seconds.

• 1 year later...

Archived