• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Berny

Berny

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:30 PM

I recently received a promotion for new batting from my supplier. Being that I have never used these I would appreciate some feedback. Up until now, I have always used Hobbs batting. The supplier carries Legacy 80/20 and cotton. Also I was looking into trying some wool battings. Which is better the 100% wool or the 65% wool and 35% poly?? How do Legacy products compare to Hobbs? Thanks and have a great quilting day. Berny

#2 DebFigved

DebFigved

Advanced Member

• Dealer
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:04 PM

Love, Love, Love wool batting. IT's been hard for suppliers to keep up with the demand since it takes about 3 months from the time they obtain the wool til its processed and ready for sale. I sold my stock as soon as it came in. I now have a larger order and will have plenty on hand. As to your question, which is better. It's a matter of preference. Natural wool and cotton are more breathable and cuddly. If you add poly, you add more loft and also warmth. Besides thinking about the content, the density of the batting also makes a difference. Hobb’s best seller has been their cotton/poly 80/20. Pellon has two 80/20 products, with scrim and 80/20 without scrim. Both of Pellon’s products use ultra clean, medical grade cotton which is cleaner than anything else on the market. Differences: Hobbs 80/20 is resin bonded. Pellon batting is either needle punched with a scrim or Thermal Bonded. Pellon’s batting products are much more even and much softer than Hobbs. Priced very similarly. Packaging: Every package of Legacy™ is packaged by hand and checked for quality in that process. This helps insure the quality and the process does not wrinkle the batting or stretch it out. Packing exclusive to Pellon’s new Legacy™ batting product : One of the most important issues addressed in the Legacy® line of battings which make Pellon exclusive is the sizes of packaging and rolls: Legacy™ comes in 48” and 96” batting by the yard rolls that are doubled to 24” widths and rolled on fabric boards--similar to the cotton fabrics we purchase for our quilts. The 96” wide batting comes in 9 yard packages that can be stored on a shelf like fabric and taken to the cutting table like fabric. Imagine buying 96” batting by the yard by taking a 5 pound board to the cutting tables and getting the exact size you need. No waste and the costs are far less than many packaged battings. If you are interested, I sell wholesale to longarmers and have samples to look at. You don't say where you are located.
Deb Figved APQS Lenni and Millenium w/ CQ Deb's Quiltery http://quiltandsew.net/

#3 DB

DB

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:45 PM

Deb, It sounds like you are a fan of Pellon. Do you know if the Legacy comes wider than 96"? I have never used this brand, is it a thinner or thicker batt? I might have to try some. Dianne

#4 Corey

Corey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, California

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:43 PM

Deb, I sent you an email. Corey

#5 LadyLake

LadyLake

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:37 PM

Originally posted by DebFigved
Differences: Hobbs 80/20 is resin bonded.
Pellon batting is either needle punched with a scrim or Thermal Bonded.

Deb -- can you give the pros and cons of 'resin bonded' versus needle punched with a scrim or thermal bonded?

Thanks!
Joan

#6 busybee

busybee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:43 PM

Deb, I sent you a u2u
www.henhousemachinequilting.com

#7 PattyJo

PattyJo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:53 PM

Deb, another u2u coming your way. ;)
Posted Image
APQS Millennium with Smooth M&M Wheels
Pat Noonan Design Studio, Custom Quilting
503-559-9686
pjnoonan@ymail.com
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

#8 dgroby

dgroby

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:18 AM

I was in a room with the Legacy being used...lint flew everywhere! It was all over the quilter, the furniture and me - sitting across the room! My black pants were covered. Having a cleaner space, and not breathing in all the lint, has made my mind up on this product.
Debbie in Austin

#9 PamelaA

PamelaA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:26 AM

Debbie, What was the content of the Legacy with all the lint? Pamela

#10 Linda G. Craig

Linda G. Craig

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:33 AM

Sent U2U. :)
Posted Image
Proud Owner of 2009 Millie
Bliss & Quiltazoid Friendly

We cannot change the direction of the wind, but we can adjust our sails.....

#11 Berny

Berny

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:08 PM

Thanks for the info. I will definitely try the wool batting and probably a 80/20 to see how I like the difference before I stock up. Berny

#12 LinneaMarie

LinneaMarie

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts
  • LocationChagrin Falls, OH

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:51 PM

Just an FYI. I bought a mini roll of Legacy 80/20 or 70/30?? Anyway, I'm almost finished with the 9 yards, and I found a small little worm in it. I've kept it wrapped in the plastic sleeve it came in; and I've never found any worms in any other parts/places in my studio. It was dead and crunchy. ............no, I didn't bite it; I just stepped on it to make sure it was dead and there was a crunch!! Now, I have nuthin against worms for fishin' BUT STAY OUT OF MY BATTING!!!:P:P

1B3534BF41043F3B69B8C0B1C537B688.png
APQS Millie aka Big Baby
www.linneamariequilts.blogspot.com
Sew Batik Associate #1361

#13 Gator

Gator

Advanced Member

• Dealer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:54 PM

I've never seen worms in any batting. Maybe it was a "bowl weevil (can't spell)", they get into the cotton plants.
Connie
Virginia Beach, VA
APQS Sales Rep and Educator
Millennium with Intelliquilter (IQ)

"Be a good listener, your ears will never get you in trouble" Frank Tygr

sewsweetgator@aol.com
http://www.yoursite.com
Posted Image

#14 gardenslug

gardenslug

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

I think Legacy wool comes in a 30 yd. 120" wide roll. Has anyone used this? I love wool, but have not used legacy. Marilyn

#15 CrazyAboutQuilting

CrazyAboutQuilting

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • LocationSE MN

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:42 AM

Could someone please explain what that means when you say that some has a scrim and some doesn't? I don't know what a scrim is............:o :o What are the pros and cons of buying it either way?
Posted ImageHandquided 2009 Lenni - BLISSED :) :)

#16 njquiltergirl

njquiltergirl

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:51 PM

Personally, I found the Legacy line to be thinner than the Quilter's Dream or Hobbs. Pricing was good, though. I have not tried it. You are asking really good questions! Looking forward to the answers. We learn so much here! Lisa APQS Liberty Circle Lord NJ

#17 Omega QW

Omega QW

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationBuena Park, CA

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:14 PM

Scrim is a very thin layer of polyester that the batting is pushed through in the needle punching process to anchor the cotton fibers. You can see it for yourself if you start at a corner of your batting and with a pin start picking away the cotton fibers little by little. Scrim is used to keep the fibers in place as an alternative to coating the batting with a resin substance. Scrim was developed somewhere along the line so that (hand) quilting didn't have to be done 1/4" inch apart like in the olden days.

But this begs the question: If cotton batting has a thin layer of polyester scrim, doesn't that cut down on cotton's breathability? Warm and Natural used to say they were 100% cotton, and someone called them on their polyester scrim and now on their label they lowered the percentage of cotton . . .

When using a batting with scrim on the longarm, put the scrim side up so the needle goes through the scrim side first. I don't know why. It's just what I learned here. I think someone told me that Hobbs 80/20 has its scrim in dead center so it doesn't matter which side is up.

The pro's of scrim include easier handling because the scrim keeps it from stretching.

One con would be that some people don't want any polyester in their batting at all.

Marilyn
Omega Quiltworks
Marilyn

#18 CrazyAboutQuilting

CrazyAboutQuilting

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • LocationSE MN

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:25 PM

Thank you! Learn something new every day.......especially on this great forum!! :cool: :cool:
Posted ImageHandquided 2009 Lenni - BLISSED :) :)

#19 LibbyG

LibbyG

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:14 PM

Someone told me that you can't wash scrim batting in very hot water or the quilt will get stiff and not soften. Maybe someone knows something about this.

#20 Debi Orr

Debi Orr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

I have been reviewing this old post about Legacy batting. Does anyone know how Legacy batting compare to Quilters Dream Batting? Also, has anyone else tried Legacy or Quilters Dream batting and if so, how do you like them? Which do you perfer and why?
Posted Image

Patches and Seams Quilting Services
2011 APQS Millennium and Intelliquilter
When life throws you scraps, make a quilt. ~Author Unknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users