Legacy batting? Wool batting?

I recently received a promotion for new batting from my supplier. Being that I have never used these I would appreciate some feedback. Up until now, I have always used Hobbs batting.

The supplier carries Legacy 80/20 and cotton. Also I was looking into trying some wool battings. Which is better the 100% wool or the 65% wool and 35% poly?? How do Legacy products compare to Hobbs?

Thanks and have a great quilting day.

Berny

Love, Love, Love wool batting. IT's been hard for suppliers to keep up with the demand since it takes about 3 months from the time they obtain the wool til its processed and ready for sale. I sold my stock as soon as it came in. I now have a larger order and will have plenty on hand.

As to your question, which is better. It's a matter of preference. Natural wool and cotton are more breathable and cuddly. If you add poly, you add more loft and also warmth. Besides thinking about the content, the density of the batting also makes a difference.

Hobb’s best seller has been their cotton/poly 80/20.

Pellon has two 80/20 products, with scrim and 80/20 without scrim.

Both of Pellon’s products use ultra clean, medical grade cotton which is cleaner than anything else on the market.

Differences: Hobbs 80/20 is resin bonded.

Pellon batting is either needle punched with a scrim or Thermal Bonded.

Pellon’s batting products are much more even and much softer than Hobbs.

Priced very similarly.

Packaging:

Every package of Legacy™ is packaged by hand and checked for quality in that process. This helps insure the quality and the process does not wrinkle the batting or stretch it out.

Packing exclusive to Pellon’s new Legacy™ batting product :

One of the most important issues addressed in the Legacy® line of battings which make Pellon exclusive is the sizes of

packaging and rolls:

Legacy™ comes in 48” and 96” batting by the yard rolls that are doubled to 24” widths and rolled on fabric boards--similar to the cotton fabrics we purchase for our quilts.

The 96” wide batting comes in 9 yard packages that can be stored on a shelf like fabric and taken to the cutting table

like fabric. Imagine buying 96” batting by the yard by taking a 5 pound board to the cutting tables and getting

the exact size you need. No waste and the costs are far less than many packaged battings.

If you are interested, I sell wholesale to longarmers and have samples to look at. You don't say where you are located.

I was in a room with the Legacy being used...lint flew everywhere! It was all over the quilter, the furniture and me - sitting across the room! My black pants were covered. Having a cleaner space, and not breathing in all the lint, has made my mind up on this product.

Just an FYI. I bought a mini roll of Legacy 80/20 or 70/30?? Anyway, I'm almost finished with the 9 yards, and I found a small little worm in it. I've kept it wrapped in the plastic sleeve it came in; and I've never found any worms in any other parts/places in my studio. It was dead and crunchy. ............no, I didn't bite it; I just stepped on it to make sure it was dead and there was a crunch!!

Now, I have nuthin against worms for fishin' BUT STAY OUT OF MY BATTING!!!:P:P

• 3 weeks later...

Scrim is a very thin layer of polyester that the batting is pushed through in the needle punching process to anchor the cotton fibers. You can see it for yourself if you start at a corner of your batting and with a pin start picking away the cotton fibers little by little. Scrim is used to keep the fibers in place as an alternative to coating the batting with a resin substance. Scrim was developed somewhere along the line so that (hand) quilting didn't have to be done 1/4" inch apart like in the olden days.

But this begs the question: If cotton batting has a thin layer of polyester scrim, doesn't that cut down on cotton's breathability? Warm and Natural used to say they were 100% cotton, and someone called them on their polyester scrim and now on their label they lowered the percentage of cotton . . .

When using a batting with scrim on the longarm, put the scrim side up so the needle goes through the scrim side first. I don't know why. It's just what I learned here. I think someone told me that Hobbs 80/20 has its scrim in dead center so it doesn't matter which side is up.

The pro's of scrim include easier handling because the scrim keeps it from stretching.

One con would be that some people don't want any polyester in their batting at all.

Marilyn

Omega Quiltworks

• 1 year later...

Debi I use Quilters Dream almost exclusively. I just love how it handles, washes and the customer service can't be beat. I love that I don't have to order huge amounts and I can get what I need quickly. My favorite batt is wool. I also like Dream Puff and dream poly. I'm not a big fan of the 70/30 because it is to heavy for my liking. I have Hobb's 80/20 and use it quite a bit as well. I also have Pellon's 80/20 on a 9 yd bolt. It seems to be a little thinner than Hobbs 80/20 but it quilts up nicely.

I am not a fan of the Pellon batting. I found it to be VERY linty, and it had bearding issues. I purchased a 9 yard bolt of it, 70/30 unbleached cotton with scrim. My first and last. Just too much lint all over the quilt, quilting room, machine, etc. It has a nice drape if you can put up with it, but I prefer Quilter's Dream for a consistently excellent product, no matter what type of QD I have used.

Originally posted by hmerrill

Debi I use Quilters Dream almost exclusively. I just love how it handles, washes and the customer service can't be beat. I love that I don't have to order huge amounts and I can get what I need quickly. My favorite batt is wool. I also like Dream Puff and dream poly. I'm not a big fan of the 70/30 because it is to heavy for my liking. I have Hobb's 80/20 and use it quite a bit as well. I also have Pellon's 80/20 on a 9 yd bolt. It seems to be a little thinner than Hobbs 80/20 but it quilts up nicely.

Thanks Heidi for the information. Is the wool batting you prefer also made by Quilters Dream? Also, if you don't mind sharing, do you have a preferred website to purchase from?

Guest Linda S

I prefer Quilters Dream, but the Pellon batting can be nice. Word of caution: Do NOT buy the Pellon 80/20 without the scrim. It stretches badly and is not really appropriate for longarming.