six-week Bran Muffins

This was one of my Mom's favorites...I made it for my DH's construction crew, they are roofing my house, and they loved them.

Six-week Bran Muffins

1 (15oz) Box of Raisin Bran

3 cups sugar

5 tsp. baking soda

5 cups flour

1 cup oil or melted shortening (I use veg oil)

1 qt. Buttermilk

4 eggs beaten

2 tsp salt (optional)

Mix bran, sugar, flour, soda and salt. Add eggs, shortening and buttermilk: mix well. Bake at 400 for 15 to 20 minutes. Batter can be kept for six weeks when stored in a air~tight container in fridge. Great to have on hand for unexpected company.

Hope you enjoy these!

you gals are the best... thanks for sharing and reminding us of the wonders of home baking. summer is fading and it's time to turn up the oven and bake our way out of a funky day. love the ideas. I've had the original recipie forever and love the idea of kicking it up a notch. happy fall everyone. Marion in BC

• 1 year later...

I probably missed it, but, how many does this bake in regular muffin pans. Sounds like it is very tasty. I'd replace any solid shortenings, lards or margarine and butter with liquids. Much more heart healthy, and does help the lungs and body too..

I prefer the lighter ones, so think I'd add a bit more pumpkin or other thick liquids.

And, would add more raisins and add nuts.

Archived