Wobbly stitches--Loose cable?

sherryjack

Am getting jerky curves suddenly while using CQ. Have used this design many times with no problem. Was fine yesterday. Wobbly curves today. I think it may be the Y cable, but it is adjusted as far as it will go. Do I need to shorten the cable or could it be something I'm not seeing. I haven't tightened the cable for a very long time and it seems a little loose. I have directions for adjustment and replacement, but nothing about shortening the cable. Anyone have any suggestions? Why do these things always happen on the weekend?

Sherry -- In the Version 5 manual, page 134, there is the procedure to replace the cable. Actually steps 9 and 10 indicate how to shorten the cable. I would back off the adjuster(s) as far as possible before shortening the cable(s).

Before you work on the cables, make sure the clamps that attach the cable to the machine blocks are tight.

John

Thanks John. I was thinking that would do it. I had printed the manual pages. In the meantime I finished the quilt I was working on and loaded a practice piece. I think it is the design. I stretched it quite a bit, but I have done that before and didn't notice wobbles. I think the combination of that plus thin batting and signature thread (which I seldom use) are the problem. I stitched out some other designs and they look fine. I won't mess with the cable yet and hope all is well. I really love the support I get on this forum!

Sherry -- Glad that was what it was. I have tightened our cables a few times, but have not "played" with the cables as far as length adjustment. That may change in, I hope, a few weeks when we get the CompuQuilter upgrade and install BLISS. You know "no brains, no fear" as far as rebuilding and replacing the CompuQuilter system. :)

John

Archived