Diamond Star log cabin/Chrysalis star pattern

Has anyone seen or know of where I can get this pattern? I am obsessed with trying to find this and am running into all kinds of dead ends. I don't know how to add a link, but if you got to The Quilting Board and seach for Chrysalis Diamond Star, about half way down is a picture of the pattern. Hopefully someone has this or knows where I can get one. Thanks Neline;)

Neline,

I found a similar pattern on Ebay. Here is the link. I can't find anything about what happeded to the maker of Chrysalis who was Maria McCormick-Snyder. I did find information that she sued a man who was an engineer and drafted a similar pattern for his wife. She claimed that he saw the quilt at Houston and stole her idea but he denied seeing it and they never proved that he had been to the show. HE said he just came up with it. Looks like the pattern was originally published in 1980. I also found a post of a person that had placed an ad in AQS magazine looking for a copy of the pattern. She actually found one. Eleanor Burns also made a quick version of a diamond log cabin. It also looksl like there are many diamond log cabins that the Amish have made so you might find a pattern there. I'm going to look through my EQ files and see if I can find a diamond log cabin. Good luck. Here is the Ebay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Diamond-Log-Cabin-Star-quilt-pattern_W0QQitemZ220732523921QQcategoryZ83957QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D220691077849%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6943194329903371455

I did some checking on this because the quilt is so pretty! Turns out that the thread on the quilting board was quite a lively discussion and some one there made a pattern and has it for sale and that person is from the link that Heidi posted! I have ordered it from her and have another quilt in my "to do someday" pile!!

Well thanks, Heidi. I didn't have enough to do so I went and bought the pattern. Sheesh girl!!

I tried to find Powell Publications for you Neline, but they dont exist anymore either. They must have been a specialty publishing company because they also published some Shirley Thompson books on finishing your quilt....actual quilting designs from 1980 and 1984. I am guessing it was a small family run publishing company that died out. We had several of those in N Idaho that simply ceased to exist. I did find a lady that took a workshop from Maria and is still in the quilting business so I emailed her to see if she has any info on what might have happened to her. This is kind of fun, being a detective. Now, back to babysitting my cutie little DGS.

Nancy:):):):)

Oh baby, I see my first silk quilt coming up. Gonna start acquiring fabric. Anyone know of good silk sources? I don't want dupioni. Just good ole silk. I am saving that pic to a folder. The colorations she did for the shadowing are amazing. Yep. Y seams? I will be an expert by the time I get done......LOL

I saw a picture of that quilt shortly after I started quilting - and I immediately fell in love. The magazine (QNM maybe?) is long gone, but I kept the picture for a very long time.

My curiosity got the better of me, so I just went to see if I still had it. Yep, I do! It's just the picture of the quilt, though, not the whole page from the magazine, so I don't know for sure how old it is. I still haven't made the quilt, but maybe some day!

• 6 years later...

I was living in Annapolis, Maryland, when Maria Mccormick-Snyder offered a precision piecing workshop all day at her home. Needless to say, the workshop changed my piecing skills.  I saw her quilt Chrysalis...it was completed except for the backing. It was of a glimmering silk construction that was a real beauty and the pattern design was ahead of its time.  This was likely 1978, from my memory.  I was organizing my quilting books today and thought about that great experience.  I was about 27 years of age and I'm in my 60s now.  I have taught this technique to many friends over the years.  I don't know when she passed away....she may have been almost 30 years older than me. Maria changed the American quilting world with her designs that were "outside the box".  

• 4 years later...
On 5/28/2017 at 11:58 PM, CarolAnne said:

I was living in Annapolis, Maryland, when Maria Mccormick-Snyder offered a precision piecing workshop all day at her home. Needless to say, the workshop changed my piecing skills.  I saw her quilt Chrysalis...it was completed except for the backing. It was of a glimmering silk construction that was a real beauty and the pattern design was ahead of its time.  This was likely 1978, from my memory.  I was organizing my quilting books today and thought about that great experience.  I was about 27 years of age and I'm in my 60s now.  I have taught this technique to many friends over the years.  I don't know when she passed away....she may have been almost 30 years older than me. Maria changed the American quilting world with her designs that were "outside the box".  

She’s alive :)