Encoder Wheel

BlueSkies

So I am stitching along with the most perfect tension I have ever had:D (Glide w magna glide bobbin), and when I went to the left (from front of machine) I now have basting stitches.:( I had changed directions before I discovered it and it had started sewing again. I looked and there was no thread breakage:), just suddenly basting stitches.:mad: Turned off machine in frustration and went to the house. Told DH what had happened. The first thing he said was "It's that wheel thingy that tells the SR what to do". Oh, the encoder wheel. Sure enough, I looked later and the one on the long rails would just stop and sit there for awhile when I moved the machine. I have a Liberty machine but the book is for a Millie. (APQS I don't like that:mad:, the book should be for my machine.) I put ER wheels on already. (Thinking seriously about the M&M's) How do I fix this? Anything I should know in advance about this happening again? You are all so kind about helping out with troubleshooting, I will be grateful for your input. Like Shana said this is a great group of folks. Thank you for any help you all can give.

Sara,

I just sounds like you have to adjust that little black wheel. Look at your directions that came with your ER wheels and I believe it tells you how to make the adjustments. Sounds like that wheel is too tight. Make sure it is sitting in the groove but it shouldn't be so tight that it doesn't roll. It sounds to me like it is either sitting too high or too low in the wheel groove. I don't know that the encoders are different from the Milli & Freedom. Well come to think about it I don't know if you have channel locks so maybe that is the difference.

Sara, it could be that it is too tight as Heidi said, or that it is not making contact at all with the ER wheel. Adjusting the encoder wheel is the same on the Liberty as it is on the Millenium. First hold the er wheel with one hand and then try to spin the encoder wheel. Does it spin easily or is it very grippy to the encoder wheel? That will determine which adjustment to make. If it is loose, you would need to loosend the bolt going into the wheel and push the encoder box tight towrds the ER wheel and then retighten that gold bolt. this makes the encoder wheel get better contact with the regular wheel. Call me if you need help! Also check the plug sometimes the ones on the backside (carriage) work themselves loose. There could also be a bad spot in the wiring. These are some of the things to look at, but definately call me if you need to.

Thanks guys! I will check to see which way to adjust it. (with the book in my hot little hand.LOL) Patty, I know that it isn't the wiring. I can see the black wheel just stop for a few seconds and start again. Heidi, no channel locks, just a knob that you tighten down to hold it in place. It doesn't always hold, if you forget that you put it down. (Can you guess how I know? I wondered why it was suddenly so hard to move the head.LOL)

Sara,

Even with edge riders on your machine the adjustment is the same. It is also the same for your Liberty as it is for the Millennium. You will loosen the gold bolt that enters your edge rider wheel from the bottom, and the push the black encoder box (to which the little rubber encoder wheel is attached) toward the big wheel. The silver mounting plate for the black box has a slot in it to allow for adjustments.

When the encoder wheel is making good contact with the edge rider wheel, tighten the gold bolt once again. The encoder wheel is like a car tire in that it does wear down from friction over time and may need replacement. If you make the adjustment and the wheel still doesn't make good contact, it will need replacement.

I am sorry that you are unhappy about having a Millennium manual instead of a Liberty manual. The reason that you have that one is that all of the functions and adjustments are exactly the same. Only the handle shape, throat size, and absence of the thread cutter and locks differentiate the machines service-wise. If you ever have any questions, or would like to receive email instructions on how to adjust the encoders, just contact me directly and I will do my best to help!

Dawn,

We met at MQS last year, I took both your tension issues class and the maintence class. I talked with you for a few minutes during the break in the maintence class. Like all of the others here, I sing your praises and think that you are the gem of APQS. I have printed out your post and will take it with me to the machine. (didn't get there today, long boring story.) I sure hope that we don't have a "flat tire". LOL

The biggest reason I didn't like having the Millie book is that when trying to put the machine together it was very confusing. (Sometimes darling) DH did the assembly, and we would stop and look and look for parts then decide that "oh, we don't have one of those." You have to skip lots of pages and think "well, we probably need that". There is a lot in that book that doesn't pertain to the Liberty machine. Technically the machine is my Mother's (she is 85), and I do the maintence and get to use it. (Now that is a deal, no?) So that said, after she uses it, I never know what I will encounter. I do a lot of page flipping trying to find out what happened. It is just frustrating, but I can adjust. (Life is short afterall.)

Thank you so much to everyone. If I have further trouble (fingers crossed that I don't) I will surely ask here before I bother Dear Dawn. Mille grazie!

• 3 years later...

We believe we have to adjust the encode wheel that controls the left to right movement on our Blissed Millie with Quilt Path.     We are getting skipped stitches (with no holes under the long thread) only when moving from left to right.    How do I adjust the left to right encoder wheel when it in contained in the carriage?   I assume it is associated with the wheel that runs on the Bliss rails. 

Archived