Technical Training

How many of you has signed up for technical training? Dawn had mentioned folks getting certified to repair machines out in the field. I just wondered if any of you were doing that and trying to decide if I'd like to do it as well. It will end up costing a lot of money to be trained if you live far away as I do.

I have signed up to attend, as well - Dawn has said that is a priority for this year, to get the course going.

I hope that APQS will keep our cost for the course as low as possible, since we will eventually (hopefully) be taking up some of the backlog now being seen in the service/support department. And we will be the first wave of support in the field - this will make APQS look good.

The airfare and hotel won't be cheap, but the investment in our ability to maintain our machines - and troubleshoot in the field, saving quilters the expense of shipping their head to Iowa - is well worth it, in my mind.

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

It is my understanding that the maintenance class is different from the tech class.

Yes, it is much more than the maintenance class. In one of our Sales rep calls, it was discussed. It is to certify one to be a repair technician in the field. I believe they said it would be 1 to 2 weeks of training and you must pass the certification in order to even qualify as a tech.

1 -2 weeks!!!!! and then a test!!!!! I might not be smart enough to do this. I know I can't afford a hotel room for that long. Those extended stay hotels are not as expensive, however. I'd love to know enough to fix machines but I was also thinking.........we'd need to own extra machine parts to be able to replace failed parts. It could be expensive to be in the business. Still, I'd like to do it.

Sylvia, you can always start with the 2-day Maintenance Class, taught at the factory in Carroll. It's the only training most of us reps have had on the technical side, other than what we've learned in the field. And there's no requirement that you get "certified" before you head out and fix machines, so start with 'baby steps," take the Maintenance Class (which is open to anyone, owner or not, who is interested enough to come and take it) and don't worry about the 1-2 week certification class.

Barb, I have thought about that but it would cost me around $1300 to take that 2 day class. That seems like bunches to me. I have to see where I stand after taxes get done with me! Airfare is a killer diller. Too bad they can't farm these maintence classes out to dealer's locations. I can go to Baton Rouge or to Niceville even without a map. (Well, I would use that B**ch on the windshield!) doesn't that sound yummy?

Hi Everyone,

I'm glad you all love your machines and want to learn how to dissect them and put them back together!

This program we're developing is open to husbands, sales reps, and anyone else interested in getting in-depth training and providing a service to others in your area. This will definitey be a more "intense" training than the two-day maintenance class we offer periodically at the factory, or the one-day class Amy teaches at large quilt shows.

We know how hard it is for you to part with your babies for very long, and sending them back to their birthplace can put you through separation anxiety! That's why we want to develop a network of individuals who can supplement our in-house service team and provide great support more locally for our customers.

That being said, it is still in the developmental stage. We need to write a curriculum, develop protocols for maintenance, etc. My priority is to make this happen in 2011 (at least for a small inaugural class of technicians). There may be some "continuing education" courses down the road as well. While Amy and I have tentatively set the first week of August as the possible training week, that is by no means etched in stone, so don't buy an airline ticket yet! We still have lots of work to do before that happens, and we may need to push the date farther into the year.

I am keeping a master list of anyone who has even remotely expressed interest in the certified tech program, and will send out emails to the entire group once I have anything to report. You are always welcome to share your ideas and input with me!

This sounds like an awesome idea... although not interested in taking the course myself, I would love to see a certiified tech in Canada. I am really wishing I would have sprung for the quilt glide when I first bought my Millie, but the thought of sending her back to Iowa, and going through the hassle of customs clearance is more than I want to deal with. If installing Glide is something a tech could do, I'd be willing to send my baby to ....oh, say... Edmonton.... Matt, are you out there??? :D;) We really really need somebody in Canada

Nooooooo, Dawn, say it ain't so!!!:o:o:o I so want to be in that class, but my son is getting married August 13 - and it's not worth my life to miss the runup to that event! I've got my fingers (and toes and all other body parts) crossed that the class ISN'T in August. But if it has to be, then sign me up for the very next one......

Connie, will you be at the meetings in Alexandria VA the end of April? My DH is Emergency Manager for U of Mich hospitals and I am coming with him to the meetings. I plan to see a couple quilt shops while he is working ;) They are at the Crystal Mariott I think

Wishful thinking: 1. I could get several people to ride with me and share gas expenses. 2. Dave finds that yurt and army cots ...no, forget the cots, I have a blow up bed. 3. Classes are free 4. Crawdads go down in price Then I can afford it!!!!;););)

Dave, right now the crawdads are almost as expensive as buying a new machine!!!

Archived