MQS - My quilt #2

I purchased a template last fall at the show in Houston that aids in piecing accuracy for the Hunter Star block. I like things that make the job easier! :D Shortly after I got home from Houston I pulled fabric out of my stash to try out the template, and it works just as advertised. I didn't have any big plans for the quilt and had just enough fabric to make it wall size.

I had a lot of fun quilting and used the Circle Lord and the CL Aztec, Starz, Heartz, Diamondz, 1/4" crosshatch and Greek Key/Maze background filler templates.

Entrants to MQS received audio feedback on the quilts from the judges and they seem to like this one, however no awards, but I didn't expect any.

2594848570105196958S425x425Q85.jpg

2143403170105196958S425x425Q85.jpg

2211427200105196958S425x425Q85.jpg

2915953710105196958S425x425Q85.jpg

Thank you all for the nice comments about my quilts!

The template that I used is Rapid Fire Hunter's Star created by Deb Tucker, and I have the smaller template that will make 5", 6", 7" and 8" blocks. There is another that will make larger blocks. It is all straight piecing, very easy.

Carman relly like how you designed the quilting on the quilt. I still am an amature with this longarm thing and have struggled to see quilting designs within the pattern of the quilt. Do you have and tips on how you come up with the quilting designs? I try to look for different patterns in the top to bring out but seems like I am slow to figure this out.

Carmen,

This is stunning. I have both her rulers, but haven't made a quilt yet. Now I'll have to because you did the quilting design for me.

Did you also design the pattern? If so, could you explain it to me. Which block size did you use?

You should enter this in MQX West under emerging entrants.

Bonnie, I often don't know what I'm going to quilt until I get started. For this quilt I knew that I wanted a star quilted around the center gold star in the same shape as that star and the Circle Lord Aztec template has the perfect design element, so that is where I started. I used a lot of pins to hold the three layers in the unquilted area, and worked from the center to the outside edges, deciding on what to quilt as I worked.

Libby, I made the 5" blocks and used EQ to create three blocks with different coloring. Then I worked on the quilt layout in EQ until I had one that was pleasing to me.

This is a wall quilt and I was concerned about the quilt holding its shape so used Hobbs 80/20 for the bottom batting and Hobbs PolyDown as the top batting layer and I'm pleased with the dimension the quilting shows.

Thanks again, everyone, for the nice things that you've said about the quilts and the encouragement you offer! :)

Archived