poly fabric causing thread breakage?

I'm quilting a very friendly Irish Chain, and I believe that she's got some poly blend fabrics mixed in with her backgrounds. Is it possible that this is causing my infrequent, but annoying thread breakage? I'm using SF top and bobbin, doing feathered wreaths in the background. I find that the breakages occur consistently in the background fabrics when I'm doing the feathers. It doesn't seem to happen in any particular spot like there might be a burr on the needle plate or anything. I've changed the needle, loosened the thread tension, as well as the tension on the backing fabric. I'm mostly floating the top in an attempt to keep the lines reasonably straight.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Beth, you could try some Sewer's Aid on the thread, or spray silicone on the thread AND the fabric. I've used the spray silicone on trouble threads and trouble fabrics in the past with good success. It comes in a spray can from Hancock Fabrics.

I was having some thread breakage recently and I finally figured it out what was causing it. The spool of thread kept catching at the bottom, like when it had been wound it was wound wrong and every now and again, it came to an abrupt stop causing breakage. You may want to study it when it happens. It took me ages and two frustrating quilts (months apart) to realise it was the cone of thread and not tension, and not fabric etc. It has been the very first cone I have had a problem with - now if I get breakage I will be checking that first.

Good luck with finding the cause of the breaks.

I'm with Barb on this one...a trip to Hancock's is in your future...that Silicone Spray is wonderful for blends (you will find it with the other SULLIVAN products, Green and white label.......and a huge glob of Sewer's Aid on the thread and a bead of it down the needle will make a world of difference as well...

I have also used the liquid silicone thread lubricant that Sharon Schamber recommends. You basically soak your entire cone in the stuff. Works great. I bought a gallon probably 4 or 5 years ago and still haven't used it up. I haven't had any issues with staining, but your mileage may vary. ;)

This isn't where I bought it, but it is the same stuff:

http://www.longarmpro.com/shop/Silicone/p/Silicone-Thread-Lubricant--sku-SiliconThreadLubricant.htm

Archived