safe disposal of old needles

I don't worry about my old needles most of the time they really dull or broken:o. They usually get buried in heaps of scrap material, batting and what ever else happens to be in the sewing room trash. The old rotary blades are another concern because even dull ones cut the skin quick and deeply. I usually save the plastic case that they come in and put them back in there before I dispose of them.

I Use an empty gum container....you know the ones say mantis or Ice gum come in. Poke a hole in the top and fill it with needles. Whole and broken pieces. Then mark it needles when I dispose of it. Also have used the bigger ones to slide the old rotary blades into.

I do something similar to what Bonnie does. I drilled a small hole in the top of an old film container and keep it on my sewing cabinet. When I change or break a needle, I poke the pieces down the hole into the container. When the container is full, I'll put the whole thing in the trash. The old rotary blades I put in the container the new one came in and dispose of it.

With dull, broken, bent needles I put them in an old prescription medicine container, the ones with child safety caps. I have a four year old grandson and I don't want him to accidently open the container. With my old blades, if I don't have a new blade container to put it in, I will tape a piece of cardboard around it and then tape the bejeebers out of it. I don't want anyone to get cut because of my love of quilting but the truth is, I'm the one most likely to be going through my fabric trash looking for that lost piece of my lastest work.

Yep...what's already been said. I store my old needles (and bent pins) in an empty prescription bottle. As for rotary cutters, I keep one plastic package in each size (28, 45, 90 and decorative) and clearly mark it USED. It can hold many used blades before I have to throw it away.

I store mine in an empty prescription bottle, even donated some empty bottles to the LQS. Tic-Tac containers work well too.

Take then on retreats too. Often organisers of classes don't think of sharps disposal.

Old blades back into original container or some Multivitamin containers are now wide mouthed enough to put them in.

Lyn

Mary,

As the mother of a daughter who has Type 1 diabetes and has to inject herself with insulin 4 times a day, finding a place that will accept "sharps" containers is no easy task. We actually purchase the sharps containers and when we take them in to the local medical center for disposal, they keep the container and we have to purchase a new one. I realize that these are considered biohazard material because of the blood borne pathogens, etc. but my feeling is, if you don't have to turn your sewing needles in for proper disposal, don't. It's a pain in the @#%*.

I use a empty coffee can with a hole in the top. I can put anything that I think is a hazard/sharp in it with plenty of room for the large items (rotary blades wrapped in tissue) and it just sits on the counter quite handy. When it starts to fill up, it goes in the trash and I am not concerned that anyone will be injured when the trash is picked up. Living in a rural area we don't have a facility for these types of things, so a person has to make do.;)

I have a hospital/doctor's office type needle disposal box. It lives on the top shelf of my bookshelf that is at the end of my machine,

My used rotary blades go in an old plastic 3 1/2 inch floppy disc container. Also clearly marked used. I started that when my ex-DH used to sharpen them for me. Also had one marked sharpened. The old ones find uses now and then cutting things besides fabric. They are also on a top shelf of another bookcase.

Too many curious grand-kids. Though they have always been good about leaving my quilting things alone except for fabric, I'd rather not take any chances.

I keep them in a plasic bottle. I'm saving all of mine so I hope to fill r up. I saw I think Cathy Franks who made a fiber mask and used the pins as Jewlery hanging at the neck. It was cool. So I'm saving them just incase I decide to get creative. I don't have near enough yet.

Hugs

Grammie Tammie

Guest Linda S

I have to inject myself with B12 once a month, so I have the drugstore disposal container too. Although it can be a pain to take it to the center to get rid of them, I think it's a lot better alternative than having them end up in the landfill.

I am more of the "get a can big enough for it all" person and tape the lid on leaving a slit big enough for a cutter blade (the needles will go in there easily). When I want to throw it away I just tape the hole shut, mark it sharp metal sewing needles/ cutter blades and put it in my recycle bin.

• 4 years later...

I for years have saved at least one old hard plastic needle package that the needles come in and put them in there...I usually know which one is my old one because it's either marked or an odd ball needle I don't use frequently like metallic or a ball point...when it's full I toss it.  I have done this since I started sewing!  LOL   (I have little children and a dog who thinks the garbage can is his all day open buffet....so....I definitely am cautious!)

When I don't know of how to dispose of something, I call our local waste company and ask....they have lots of of ways.  There is a medical sharps disposal box, but I can't remember if I was supposed to use that so when my "sharps" containers of rotary blades and machine needles get full, I will have to call and ask again....I know I was supposed to put them in a sturdy container and tape it well when full and mark it...but I can't remember what then....I know that when regular garbage and recycle stuff is sometimes dumped onto a conveyor belt and then sorted ...yep..there are people there doing that job....so yep..a container is a good idea....if they get poked by something....they have to assume it is contaminated with blood and have to go through those protocols.. The local law enforcement office takes used medications and there is a place for unwanted paint and chemicals to be saved and given to folks in need of some free paint and a place where potentially usable items are set aside for a while for folks to take if they have a use for them....don't know how it is across the country...but that is how it is up here....Lin

I put mine in a soda can and crush it flat withy foot. I do make sure it's flat on the can bottom if you know what Ican. Then I take the cans to recycle when the time comes. After that the recycler does their thing & melts it with the rest of everything else. Zeke.

Most large department stores have sharps container in their bathrooms.  As Dave said, you can just drop them in that box.

Or you could make a Edward Scissorhand/Freddie Kruger wall hanging with "real finger action" for your next guilds quilt show.  One of those mini-quilts they are always asking for.  It might make the world safer, but at least they would be out of your home.  Who knows, it just may get someone new "stuck" on quilting.

Cagey

Archived