bottom stitching flat lining when going right to left

mcmullen

I'm having tension problems again! Using Perma Core 30 wt.as top and bobbin thread . Rest of tension looks great except when sewing from right to left . Right now I am doing an all over meander and it is happening every time I sew in that direction. This also happens with every thread I use! I have a 2010 Millie.I have tried all sorts of top and bottom tensions, rethreaded everything ,cleaned and checked bobbin case . My Towa tension is set at 210. If I loosen bobbin more it makes everything worse. Even changed out tension spring recently. Hubby checked timing and it seems okay. My needle eye is set straight ahead and I tried moving eye to left just a bit but it didn't help. This has always been an ongoing problem with me. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any suggestions.Becky

Becky it is needle flex that causes this problem. You can try a bigger needle or what I do (I like a 3.5) is to loosen my bobbin tension some more and then adjust my upper tension so that I don't have this problem. There is a very fine line so once you get it close start tighening your upper tension a 1/4 turn until the stitch looks pretty each direction.

• 10 months later...

I have the same problem, I think. I haven't yet figured out whether it's a left to right thing or what. No matter what kind of thread I use top or bottom, I will be sewing along and then the bobbin thread will flat line or make eyelashes on the bottom. And, that will go on for quite awhile, so it really makes me wonder if it's just needle flex. I work and work on a sample outside the quilt until I get the tension to what I think is right and then I'll work on the quilt and it will start fine and then go out of whack. I feel really stupid that I can't get my tension right. :(

Under the video section on the topic page is "Getting to know your machine". Dawn links to a video about needle flex.

As for sporadic flatlining of the bobbin thread (instead of directional flatlining)--usually the culprit is a tiny piece of lint under the tension finger of your bobbin case. It will get in the way on occasion and tighten up the bobbin thread. That causes the looser top thread to be pulled to the back side. Clean the bobbin case and gently lift the finger and use air to blow out the area.

Linda is right there are lots of different things that can cause this problem. I was recently working on a quilt and just couldn't get it right. Finally tried re-threading and adding a little more tension to the upper thread and the problem was resolved. Another problem that I have is if I make the sandwich is too tight. I like mine pretty taunt but sometimes depending on the fabric too tight causes all kinds of issues.

Archived