I need MAJOR help!!! IT ENDED GREAT!!!!!!

Tracey, I haven't had a bearding problem very often (maybe a few times total) but I recently had this happen with Hobbs 80/20 not too long ago. Weird because hobbs 80/20 is usually fine and no problems. I colored each batting dot in with a black fabric pen (the backing was primarly black) and that covered up the bearding poking through. I don't know if it was the batting, the fabric, or the needle... :( It was all quilt shop quality fabrics.

PS: If you choose to use a sharpie marker (which I don't recommend because they tend to bleed), be super careful and conservative with your coloring because sharpies can bleed. I would use a fabric marker that does not bleed.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The acid free markers used in writing on labels (Can't think of the name right now but that cog will come back around soon), comes in a big variety of colors. It is not nearly as likely to bleed as Sharlies and, if you take the quilt along you can probably fined a variety of pens to match your backing. If you elect to use more than one color it will be harder to track your stitching line. I get mine at Hobby Lobby. It will be a far happier night you spend marking curled up on the sofa with a pen than crying on the quilt you are ripping!

I have a set of Evanscraft Marking Pens I've had for years and they are PERFECT for this type of thing. They do not bleed and they are permanent. I originally bought them for my machine embroidery problems. Sometimes designs weren't digitized well so the outline would be off and it would spoil the whole design. You could color in that spot and it was virtually unnoticeable. These days I use them with my quilting lines instead of changing threads all the time. I'm sure any good FABRIC pen would do the same thing.

After reading this - I checked out as much info on bearding that was out there. Some say a blunt needle can cause it. Most say it's a batting/backing issue. Once it starts - it usually keeps on going. Not once did it say it's the quilters "fault". I'm really, really sorry this happened to you (and the quilt maker) but things happen out of our control. I wish you all the best on how you deal with it.

Originally posted by hmerrill

I am 100% positive it is a batting problem and/or combination of the backing fabric and thread. Looser woven fabrics tend to be more likely to have this problem. It could be the combination of thread and cotton but essetially what probably happened is that the thread grabbed the cotton on it's way through. I have had this very thing happen with batting from my customer and hobbs 80/20.

I have also had this, and agree with this explanation of the problem. I had one backing which did this so badly with the most popular 80/20 wadding I get I refused to take it as a backing the third time I saw it.

I would suggest wash, partly tumble dry then block. These dots do normally suck back in, but as several people have said some customers are very anti washing quilts.

Good luck

Ferret

I use Hobbs 80/20 exclusively and the only time I have ever had some pokies is with a black backing and a cheap loose weave fabric. I do however ALWAYS have a problem with Warm & Natural and always give the customers a warning when they bring it. Now to your problem.. I would NEVER wash a customers quilt but this has worked for me.. put the quilt in the dryer with NO Heat and put in 3 - 4 tennis balls and tumble for 30 - 40 minutes, that usually knocks a lot of the batting off. GOOD LUCK and do not do it for free it wasn't your fault!!

First off...THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for the support and advice. I have come to the conclusion that I will return the quilt as is and tell her that is the end of it. To rip out an entire quilt would take far more time than I have.

Another thing I forgot to mention, and I should send in a pic of the entire quilt...this backing is pieced...the major portion of the back it a pale creamy colour and you can't see the bearding (which is why I didn't notice it or stop!!!). I quilted the center of the quilt first, switching colours as I worked in the different areas and then did the borders last. I will go take full quilt pics and sent them in, then you can see. It isn't like the entire back of the quilt is :full of big chunks of batting: . I don't think well on my feet so was pretty much useless when I was faced with this at the time. Thanks again. Give me a bit and I will post pics of the whole quilt.

Again, I would really like to thank you all for the support and advice. I love this forum. You are all amazing!!!

Tracey

Did I mention that she said it looked like an amateur had done this work? Not to toot my own horn but I don't think an amateur can pull off freehand work like this. (Just sayin' ;))

Did I mention that she said it looked like an amateur had done this work? Not to toot my own horn but I don't think an amateur can pull off freehand work like this. (Just sayin' ;))

I am so glad you are not going to frog the whole quilt ~ your quilting is amazing ~ very good for a { AMATEUR }:P

wish I was an amateure LOL

beautiful work Tracey, I hope that she gets over her emotions and realizes that it is nothing that a wash won't take care of. It is just the nature of the fabrics. What has she decided to do anyway. I sure would not frog it or re quilt it as it is fine just the way it is. After all it is the back and it is only on certain fabrics. why didnt she use that light color fabric all over. then you would not have had this problem

Archived