French Onion Soup

ffq-lar

Den and I owned a French restaurant many years ago and we served a great French Onion soup. I just made this tonight for dinner. It is rich and warming. Serve with a salad. Enough for two big bowls.

Two large onions--your favorite type

Small shallot

Two pieces garlic (not two whole garlic--just two cloves)

One cube of butter (I told you it was rich!)

Can of chicken stock

Bottle of sweet sparkling wine (Asti Spumante) or a bottle of sparkling apple juice

Dried thyme or Herbs de Provence

Six slices of french baguette--put in a 250 degree oven until completely crisp but not brown

Six slices of Swiss cheese-diced

In a heavy skillet, melt the butter and add finely minced garlic, finely chopped shallot and thickly sliced onion.

Cook over medium until all is wilted but not browned--about 15 minutes.

Add the can of chicken stock and 3/4 cup of sparkling something.

Cook an additional 10 minutes, adding pepper to taste, dried herbs (about a quarter teaspoon), and taste to see if it needs salt. If it does, use dried or paste chicken bouillon to taste.

After you have adjusted the flavor to your liking, fill oven-proof bowls about 2/3rd full of soup. Overlap three pieces of crisp bread on top and cover each bowl with half the diced cheese. Place on a baking sheet and put in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.

It will be molten and gooey. The bread will be crisp on top and soft underneath. The onions will be fabulous. This has a zillion calories and you will crave it every year when the days shorten and it starts to get cold out. Drink the rest of the bottle of sparkling stuff with dinner.

This is what Den calls "Blond Onion Soup"--made with chicken stock instead of beef. Much sweeter and more subtle-flavored than the classic recipe.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by DoryJM

May I just say this: YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I'll be making this for dinner tomorrow; therefore, how many ounces is the can of chicken stock??

This sounds soooo good!!!!

Hi Dory! (fellow Washingtonian! yay!)

That is one regular soup-can size--about 15 ounces of chicken stock. Enjoy!

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived