dream poly

Kywoman

I don't mean to be negative or discouraging but you are talking about an impossibility! That's being realistic. and it's not the batting or the thread or the machine. It's impossible to hide the thread consistently given the tools we have. That's why I never use such a contrast in threads unless the fabric is busy. I might use black top and white bottom if the fabric was so busy you wouldn't see it...but NEVER white on white and black on black.....uh uh no way no how!

Maybe some other quilter will jump in here and contradict me.....I'm listening too!:o

I was trying to quilt on red sashings using red thread on top and white in the bobbin...........I kept getting white pokies coming thru and never did get it to work consistantly. It would stitch fine for a while and then the pokies were coming again. I was using the maga glide classic bobbin, tightened the tension as far as I dared and loosened the top red thread...........finally gave up, frogged it out and went a different route. :(

I have concluded that dream poly is a nightmare. I can balance the thread with a cotton batt but this stuff is too dense. I did okay though by using smoke colored mono in the bobbin and tightening it down ( thanks lady of the lake) and keeping the top loose. I did go up to a size 18 needle. It was the best I could do. A whole day shot and the quilt is due tomorrow. Yikes!

I don't have the magna bobbins. I just have regular bobbins.

Sometimes I use contrasting color threads on top and bottom What I do to avoid top thread pokies on the back is I loosen the bobbin so it's rolling gentle and slow (like a spider drop) and I tighten the top thread as much as possible--almost near to the point of breaking until I see the bobbin thread peeking up through the hole on top that the needle makes. I also try to go slower speed than normal. That seems to work well and helps a lot. Good luck.

Originally posted by Kywoman

I have concluded that dream poly is a nightmare. I can balance the thread with a cotton batt but this stuff is too dense. I did okay though by using smoke colored mono in the bobbin and tightening it down ( thanks lady of the lake) and keeping the top loose. I did go up to a size 18 needle. It was the best I could do. A whole day shot and the quilt is due tomorrow. Yikes!

I'm working with dream poly right now and not having a problem. Isn't it funny that we all have different experiences...I'm using French Navy on the bottom...almost black, but the top is "Denim", a variegated. I guess it's the nature of denim to be "pokey" anyway, but I can't see any threads on the back. I'm using a size 18 needle because of the denim fabric.

I'm glad you were able to find a solution...now to reboot the day and get 'er done. Good luck!:D

All you need is magic fingers. I've been told that I have magic fingers when it comes to balancing the threads. Well, I'm not sure about that, but the threads do come out rather well when their contrasting. I've been able to do this since I started quilting with a longarm machine. Maybe it's my finger tips or something else, I don't know, but i do quite well with threads.:D;) zeke...................

Dream Poly comes in several (4 I think) weights which could account for the different outcomes in quilting it. I lie the 2nd or even the third heavier ones. The lightest weight is for hand quilting primarily.

I always match my thread to the fabric--Top and bottom. I don't have too many problems with pokies. Once in a while but it's not usually an issue. I use all different threads and Prewound Bottom Line bobbins with the cardboard sides. Maybe I have those magic fingers !!! I am not afraid to adjust the top tension. I don't mess with the bottom since it is ALWAYS the same bobbin type.

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

I don't have the magna bobbins. I just have regular bobbins.

Sometimes I use contrasting color threads on top and bottom What I do to avoid top thread pokies on the back is I loosen the bobbin so it's rolling gentle and slow (like a spider drop) and I tighten the top thread as much as possible--almost near to the point of breaking until I see the bobbin thread peeking up through the hole on top that the needle makes. I also try to go slower speed than normal. That seems to work well and helps a lot. Good luck.

I'll have to try that, Shana. I haven't mastered the 'no pokies' challenge.:)

I have to say I am dismayed by my inability to master this. I have tightened the bobbin down as far as I can go and I barely have any tension at all on the top. I have tried changing needles and starting all over on the bobbin/top tensions. For some reason I cannot keep the bobbin thread from showing through on the top and I never have that problem. It is usually the opposite. Oh and of course I promised my client that the white top would be fine but there might be some pokies on the back and she was fine with that. I am determined to find a way...

I can't even imagine running my bobbin that tight. My guess is that you have some fuzz built up on the bobbin case. use a needle and gently clean under the tension. Also make sure that your thread is engaging in the bobbin case. I run mine so that if I hold onto the tail of the thread the bobbin runs down very slowly. I start with the upper tension loose as I can get it (try rethreading) and I tighten until I get the bobbin thread to pull up to the top. Just as I see it I back off just slightly. You might also want to try another bobbin case.

Thanks for all your help. I suspect that I do have have some build up in the bobbin case. I will check that. I also suspect that I am just frustrated and I need to calm down. My client is very picky and she explained for 1 1/2 hrs how she wanted the quilt exactly done. I need all the clients I can get so I went ahead full steam. I probably jinxed myself. LOL

Archived