Printed center panels and borders

I have been given 7 darling Halloween wall hangings by one of my good customers. The center is a printed panel with a witch train, blowing trees, pumpkins, bats, etc. The border is pumpkins and various spooky stuff.

My question is: can I quilt different motifs (leaves, for example) over the top of printed fabric or would they compete too much with the pictures on the fabric? Should I only quilt around the pictures then add simple little things in between?

Is there any "rule" on this? Since I have 7 of them I need to be creative and not do them all the same so I kind of need more freedom than just stitching around the pictures would allow.

Thanks in advance for the great advice!

I think it would also depend on the budget for these quilts. I made a Christmas quilt for my daughter a few years ago which had a cutsie panel in the center. I went "all out" with the quilting, spending about 35-40 hours on it. It looked fabulous!!!

But, if I was doing this for a customer, would they want to pay for that much detail? Sometimes on panels I just do a puzzle meander (about 2 - 3 inches in size) and SID between the borders. I will quilt something "custom" in the borders if they are a plain type of fabric and my efforts will be noticed. If they are too busy, I often just piano key them.

Guest Linda S

No rules! I wouldn't waste cute designs on busy areas of the fabric where you're not likely to see them, but if there is some plain sky and you want to add an extra bat, or something of that sort, it could be really fun!

Archived