IQ carriage stabiliser wheels

Hi,

All of you ladies out there who have upgraded to the IQ carriage - how are you finding it? I have struggled on and off with mine from the moment I received it, and although I have some control over the carriage sometimes, I can't get it to be consistently good, and sometimes have little control.

I was wondering how you have your stabiliser wheels set up. Do you have them so that they are touching the bottom of the steel table, or do you have them so that they are barely touching the bottom of the table? I have tried both ways, and various ways inbetween..

After another bad day with the carriage pulling, I am ready to throw it all in the bin ..... especially more frustrating as I have been trying to quilt my first wholecloth and my carriage is not co operating.

I will be bald tomorrow as I pull my hair out ......

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Janette,

I have had it for a few months now. It took a bit of fiddling to get it just right. The stabilizer wheels underneath really don't touch at all. But besides that, all the other wheels need to be sitting level or square to the frame. maybe that is your problem. I didn't notice this at first either and was very disappointed till I realized this. Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice, I am now emailing them directly and getting some help as now I need some spare parts that I can't get here in the UK.

My table is perfectly level and my machine doesn't drift at all, and everything is square to each other - on the suggestion of the manufacturer I have moved the rear stabiliser wheel away from the table so that it does not touch. I think the stabiliser wheels are more important if you run the IQ on the Lenni and they stop it from lifting up with the weight of the IQ by all accounts.

Janette, I'm sorry that your new IQ carriage is causing you so much grief. Hopefully you'll get everything adjusted as it should be and you'll be off and running. I have been toying with the idea of purchasing an IQ carriage for my Lenni but may hold off for a bit. Please let us know how you make out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Originally posted by WestieMom

Janette, I'm sorry that your new IQ carriage is causing you so much grief. Hopefully you'll get everything adjusted as it should be and you'll be off and running. I have been toying with the idea of purchasing an IQ carriage for my Lenni but may hold off for a bit. Please let us know how you make out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

I think I am just the exception to the rule as everyone else who has bought the carriage has been extremely happy, and it just makes things more difficult for me being here in the UK, and not having access to some of the nuts and bolts etc - as mine took a knock in transit and may have caused some of these issues too. So please don't hang back on account of the problems I have had. Ask anyone else and they will tell you how happy they have been with it.

It is still a big improvement..... maybe my expectations are also a little high?

Plus it seems I may have had a break through with finding a loose wheel and a stripped thread on a bolt which could be causing it, so once I get the spare parts hopefully it will all be fine in my quilting world again......

No you're not the only one. After spending the money and time to get this carriage with the edgerider wheels, I'm not sure if I made the right choice. We have leveled and releved everything and it seems to run smooth until I put a quilt on. Then there's the tug and pull that is frustrating. Also I though I would be able to do cable borders and backtrack well on this. No, it pulls and fights me. So i'm ripping out this long cable border and doing it at home on my Millie that I have M and M wheels on.

I'm really frustrated because my husband and I have done almost everything we can think of to fix this. We have one minor adjustment to try but I have a feeling it's not going to do much. $500 wasted - sorry!:(:(:(

Janette

My stablizer wheels do not touch the bottom of the table they are set at approx. 1/4 inch below the table so they would catch and hold the carriage from popping up if too much pressure was put on one end or the other to make the carriage pop up. I have no drag or pull while quilting whatsoever. I feel I have great improvement over the standard wheels that came on my Lenni. I too think that maybe yours being bumped around in shipment may be what is causing a problem. So sorry you are having trouble getting your to run smoothly. Hope it can get resolved soon.

Roseann,

Why have you not called? I had no idea you were having problems. Just from reading your post, it sounds as though the quilt is putting drag on your movement. You can't rally raise the leveling roller or front rollers, but there is a slight adjustment you can make. Loosen the the bolt that holds the side arms onto the table and then lift up on the front rollers (equally side to side) so that they are level side to side, then tighten the bolt. this raises up the front rollers some. Maybe this will reduce the drag you get when putting a quilt on the frame.

See if this helps and we can go from there.

Sorry Patty,

Really didn't think of calling and it was always at inconvenient times it seems. My next 2 months are crazy not with just my business but with kids in sports and the oldest graduating from high school. I just wanted things to work right the first time and not have to worry about tweaking them ! I was on here at weird times also. I only did 2 quilts on this since I got it ( 1 larger one and the smaller ones with the cable border) and thought maybe it was something else . I'll try what you said before I load another on today while I'm at the store and if I'll call if I'm not busy there. If not I'll make it a point to get in touch with you if I still have problems!

Thanks!

Archived