Need advice for binding (sewing machine) or attachments...any advice appreciated!

Hi! I have no clue where to start looking...

I am looking seriously for either a sewing machine or binding attachment thingy that is focused on attaching bindings to quilts (both sides) at the same time. Where the attachment folds the fabric in half and feeds it through and binds it on the edges. I want to start looking for something that is proven to work well. I don't have a serger. Do sergers do this? I'm willing to buy a machine dedicated to attaching these bindings. I will be using this to make small wallhangings and table runners and place mats and things like this.

Shana, there are a lot of machines that will do this. I have a friend nearby that has a nice commercial machine that will do several different sizes of binding. The only problem is he never could make a halfway decent corner. He said the machine was supposed to be able to do the corners, but he just can't make it work! (Machine is now for sale...)

Just be careful when you find one to make sure they teach you to do the corners!

Originally posted by Merryjo2003

.......He said the machine was supposed to be able to do the corners, but he just can't make it work! (Machine is now for sale...)

Just be careful when you find one to make sure they teach you to do the corners!

I hear ya, girlfriend... thanks. I have heard that the corners can be tricky. I'm willing to 'compromise' and make it a rounded corner.... :P So...... if your friend is selling his machhine, maybe we should talk... If interested send a U2U 2me ;)

Shana,

I use an industrial sewing machine with a binding attachment that I bought on line for under $30. The big motor pulls the weight much easier than a DM. They come in 1 inch to 21/2 inch sizes. There are binding feet designed for most sewing machines. Check e-bay, that's where I bought mine. The only draw back is you need to use bias fabric and it needs to be starched very stiff. I purchase binding on a roll in different colors for use on T-shirt quilts and utilitarian quilts. It isn't the best quality for every use. Also I miter my corners all the time and would be glad to explain how when you are ready. It isn't hard to do but it is hard to explain.

Hi Shana,

Is there a particular reason you are going to be doing machine bound bindings? On a lot of quilts perhaps?---or not many quilts, but you are looking for a simple way to do it?

I machine bind just about all the donation quilts I work with now. Quilts of Valor, The Martha Quilts, some client quilts, etc. Some of my own quilts too.

I use Judy Laquidara's Method. It took me a while to learn, but now I have it down pat. I think Judy has switched to glueing down her binding on the back side....I still like using the very thin Clover Glass head pins to secure the back. I just sew right over them. They are so fine my needle does not hit them.

You can Judy's Tutorial Video at:

http://www.patchworktimes.com/2009/06/05/binding-vide/

I do a few things differently than Judy does, but I'm very pleased with the results. I use a dark contrasting thread to initially apply the binding to the front of the quilt. This leaves me a good reference of thread line on the back to cover with the binding. I use my quarter inch stitch in the ditch foot and matching bobbin and top thread when I start sewing on the front "in the ditch". I have nice foot for my Pfaff that has a metal center guide. That guide runs straight down the front binding ditch. No adjusting the needle to one side or the other. Here are a few donation quilts I recently completed with machined binding. Going around corners works out well with this method too. (pics. are of the back of the quilts & machine binding)

post--13461908365743_thumb.jpg

Guest Linda S

Shana - this question just came up on Longarm Chat. Penny Bubar recommended the Zip Bind System (not the Qwick Bind System) from Martelli Enterprises. The pictures she posted looked pretty nice. I started watching the video, but it's almost an hour long, and I've got things to do today, so I'll have to watch it another time. Best of luck!

Thanks Shana for asking this. I have been searching for help with this for a while now! I should have started my search HERE!

I have a commercial binding machine that I want to start using more and would like info on how to do the square corners. I would also like to have different size attachment.

Joyce, can you give more details of your system? It sounds like mine. I have had this for over 20 years but seldom use it anymore since I don't have a source for the binding anymore. I used to get it made at a binding company in Kansas City (provided my own fabric or bought their binding that they made which was mostly solid colors, no prints.) I am also looking for the attachment that the spool of binding sits on. Do you know where I might find replacement parts? TIA

I saw a youtube video once that showed how to do the square corners with the machine, but I can't find it now( been looking for at least 2 years!).

Shana, even the older Singer machine have binder attachments. I have a machine from the 1950's that has one. Never tried the attachment, but my aunt did lots with it. I have heard great things about the Bernina one. A sewing teacher told me it was the best on the market. I have no experience with one and do not own one. Just passing it along.

Good luck!

Hi Shanna,

I own a Sailrite walking foot machine that I use to make and bind bags and soft luggage (as well as hemming denim, put in coat zippers, etc). My brother owns the same model as me and he has made upholstery items that he bound as well. I have a couple sizes of swing away binding attachments that I use. It is a solid metal machine designed for making sails and other heavy items, and it isn't sexy looking in any way, but I tell ya, I can bind anything with it.

The Sailrite's don't go very fast but they sews beautifully. I have the model that also does zig-zag (LSZ-1 model), but there is the LS-1 model that only does staight stitch with the walking foot. I just thought I'd let you know what I know would work, and you wouldn't have to go in to the industrial machine prices or space requirements (I have mine set up in an older sewing machine cabinet I found somewhere). Go to sailrite dot com and check it out. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Shana, I've been looking for a binding systems for ten years, haven't seen any that inspired confidence, partly because I want to bind upholstery not just quilts. BUT when I've tried any they get hung up on the even feed foot, or really don't like the thickness of the quilt plus the double fold binding....

When I asked the sewing experts at my local Bernina about the system available they were not enthusiastic about the results I would have on quilts, also said that some of the Japanese "add to any machine" were not exact enough...So still looking.

Now, with Marci's post, I just spent way too much time going thru the Sailrite site , looking, looking, and looking. The machine addresses the even feed problems (though I don't have any problems with my 25 year old Bernina) and it has binding attachments MEANT for thicker fabrics/applications. One swings away when not needed, and makes doing corners possible....Oh the sleep I'm going to lose on this....

I'm hoping that Joyce will try to write , photo , good directions for square corners, and I'm going to plan on a visit to Indiana (Sailrite location) this summer on the way to my Mother in Law's house ;);)

Marci, just a quick question: Is it possible for me to take care of the Sailrite machine, I can take care of the Milli, mostly, so far. But am hoping that the machine won't be high maintence...What is your opinion?

Wow Pat

Pat, Yep, you sure can take care of it yourself. In fact, the owners manual has EVERYTHING in it, they don't hold back on anything. You need to remember that these machines are out on the ocean, on the boats with their owners, so they have to be able to fix any issues that come up. I've timed mine and changed out my reverse feed to the optional stop setup. Sailrite also has videos on their website to show you how to do things as well. One note on your posting here: The binding attachments they offer work on quilts, I've done it, one just needs to remember that these machines are not super fast so you have much more control over what is going up to and under your walking foot. A quilt is not just two layers of thin fabric, in fact a quilt has more thickness than many bags I make. I just love mine and love how easy it makes binding for me.

Archived