"Up" side to Hobbs 80/20? PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Bonnie H

I'm having a dickens of a time with thread breaking tonight! Is there an "up" direction to the Hobbs 80/20? I'm wondering if maybe that is what is causing the thread breaks. This isn't a batting I use all that often. I'm using Cairo 100% cotton in white and have dunked it in mineral oil, too, prayed and cussed. Not in that order. Still breaking thread! Any ideas?

.....................UPDATE ....................

I got the quilt done and the problem turned out to be the air conditioning wall unit was blowing right on my thread as I was quilting! I had this happen when we installed the unit in the garage last year but had forgotten all about it that happening. This weekend we moved the vent so it was blowing more centrally and I have to remember not to do that again!!! The vent is back blowing where it needs to. I'm not even sure what made me think of the air conditioning unit! But anyway, I got the last three passes of the panto done with zero thread breaks, zero tension problems, and it is all done and looks as I would want it to. Yeah!!!!

The backing of the quilt was a little thin but didn't have any tension issues when I pulled it off and inspected it. The tension was nearly perfect. The fabric had a funny feel to it as I was feeling the back side on the frame and I think the needle poking its holes made that feeling amplified once it made the holes.

I'm so relieved. Thanks for the support!! Without it, I don't think I would have gotten this one done so soon. This event is making me wonder if it is worth quilting for others. The next quilt I have to do is a custom applique quilt for the same gal and I'm wondering if I feel up to it????

Bonnie, there is an up/down to Hobbs 80/20 - "dimples up, pimples down." If you look at it from an angle, you should see indentations (from needle-punching) on one side (the up side) and little "snowballs" on the other side. Hope this helps - have never had thread breakage from a flipped batting, just pokies. Good luck!

Its frustrating,

I know, tried any or all of these:

I would check the thread tension, loosen the sandwich a bit, change needle, check if you have a burr somewhere in there, use another cone of thread.

Never had thread breaks, just pokies once in a while.

Corey

I double checked and I do have it loaded as you gals describe. *Thank you!)

I am noticing hard bumps in the batting and I am now wondering if this is causing my thread breaks. They weren't as hard and in so many places on the last piece of batt I cut off this roll. I wonder if Joann's is getting some kind of "seconds" from Hobbs or if this is just a bad roll. Never had this in the prepacked before either. Has anyone else had this trouble with Hobbs 80/20 from Joann's (or elsewhere)?

I have another half of the quilt to get through and it is supposed to be 102 today. Ughhhhhhhhh

I have a new roll of hobbs 80/20. Noticed a little piece that looked like bunched up batting. Hope it's not consistant in this roll. I didn't buy mine from Joann's. I've never had hard bumps in my rolls of batting before. Good luck today.

Here's a good clue (for any batting) if you have it in the package... the "up" side is the side facing "out" in the package. So if you take it out, just keep unrolling with the "up" facing toward you and you'll have it right. Which way the fold creases are is another way to help you too.

I think I'm pretty much screwed. The fabric is thin, the batting has little hard spots, the thread is cotton and is breaking constantly, and the tension I'm getting is crap. It's hard to unpick the stitches.

I changed the needle, went up to a 20 from a 18. Changed out to a brand new bobbin case. Rewound the bobbin on a different machine. Checked with TOWA and it's spinning off smoothly, no problems. Soaked the thread in mineral oil. Still crap stitches and thread breaking.

Loaded my own LQS fabric and W&N batting. Used the same settings as I was using on the customer quilt, same thread. Great tension, great stitches, one thread break on my fabrics and W&N. But at least great tension. I can deal with a thread break here and there if I still have nice stitches.

I think it must be a combination of the thread, thin fabric, and batting not working well together. Yesterday I did another quilt for the same customer, thicker fabrics, Isacord thread, Hobbs 80/20. Quilted beautifully. Great tension. No thread breaks. Not one issue. It's perfect.

I think thin fabric sucks.

Hard knots in batting suck.

Cotton thread sometimes sucks.

I just don't have the patience for this. My blood pressure is out of control right now and I'm trying different meds. I'm too young for this, only 47. Have been on BP meds since my late 30s. I know enough not to take a reading this morning! LOL (OMG I can actually laugh right now? And it felt good.)

Now I have to figure out what to do. Not sure if I can unstitch this without causing problems to the fabrics as they are on the thin side, though they look like LQS prints as they are matchy and colorful but really thin. Not sure why they are so thin! Stupid manufacturers.

Sorry for venting. If I was a drinking kinda girl, I might have a strong one for breakfast and follow that up with another and another. But, my weakness is sugar and I have borderline high sugar levels, too, so no chocolates for breakfast! I think I'll go cry.

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Here's a good clue (for any batting) if you have it in the package... the "up" side is the side facing "out" in the package. So if you take it out, just keep unrolling with the "up" facing toward you and you'll have it right. Which way the fold creases are is another way to help you too.

Shana, thanks for the tip. I have noticed that to be the case, too.

Hang in there Bonnie! I wish I had a good solution for you.

If it's any consolation, I was sewing the binding on a quilt last night that I made for my niece's wedding (didn't get it done in time for the wedding, no surprise) and I noticed a tuck in the backing. Augh! I watched sooo closely as I was quilting but it's a black printed backing and I obviously didn't see it. Oh well. Guess where the label is going???!!!

Originally posted by Pat C

Hang in there Bonnie! I wish I had a good solution for you.

If it's any consolation, I was sewing the binding on a quilt last night that I made for my niece's wedding (didn't get it done in time for the wedding, no surprise) and I noticed a tuck in the backing. Augh! I watched sooo closely as I was quilting but it's a black printed backing and I obviously didn't see it. Oh well. Guess where the label is going???!!!

Pat, slap that label on and forget about it! Life is too short! LOL

Thanks for offering up your dilemma in an effort to make me feel better! :):) Sorry for your tuck though. Tucks stink, too.

Bonnie - I never would have figured out what was causing your thread problem. I never would have guessed!

I'm very glad you got the quilt done and I bet it's beautiful! Can we see pictures??!! Give yourself a break and you'll be ready for the next one. Mostly, give youself a pat on the back for forging thru all the issues you had!!

A fan or AC can cause thread breakage???? I was having trouble with Isacord breaking the other day, but had never used that brand before and thought it was just me, the thread, Millie's temperment or ??? I do have a fan running when I am quilting, but it is oscilating and not blowing constantly right on me. I'll tip the fan up more and see what happens next time I am quilting. Who knew !!!!

Archived