How do I splice batting?

Try to find the new-ish batting fuse tape. You butt the batting pieces together and iron it on. It works OK--it didn't hold all the way along with one customer quilt I did. But it's do-able and you get a better result than a zigzag stitch or hand sewing together. Careful with poly batting that you don't melt it.

I second the fusible batting tape. The tape itself is poly, so you do have to watch the iron temp. I have used it to fuse both sides of the splice, both front and back, and it holds better that way. It is still undectable even with the two layers of batting tape. I rotary cut the batting edges to get a nice clean edge. It works great. If you can't find that, I would hand sew the edges together. When I machine sew, I get stretching that is a problem to deal with.

Here's a video I did a while back on how to splice batting on an APQS frame. I just use strips I've cut from non-woven fusible interfacing and iron it on the frame. In the video I show how to cut the two battings to meet. These days I cut a curvy line instead of a straight line to help it blend better. (read the comments on the video after you watch it and you'll see what I mean).

I have done charity quilts, baby quilts and utilitarian quilts with pieced batting. just overlap the edge by a 0.25-0.50 inches. When it's done, anyone would be hard pressed to find it. If you don't want to do it with a customer quilt try it on a practice scrap and see for yourself. I bet it doesn't feel any stiffer than with fusible interfacing. Of course, these other ladies quilt much better than I do, but I was taught this by a professional and really I couldn't tell the difference.

I've only spliced with the tape while on the frame........usually because I came up short or I was just trying to use up some pieces of batting. This is done when make charity quilts that won't get a lot of TLC. Anyway, it works great. I, too, tried the tricot interfacing used for garments first just to see if it worked. When it did, I bought the tape at a quilt show. Many quilt shops carry it now, too.

Archived