using buttersuede for fused applique?

My Granddaughter is wanting to make a quilt top and applique red hearts onto some blocks. It is my understanding that this suede does not fray. Can this be fused to cotton blocks and will the edges need to be finished? Needless to say I have never used this suede. Think it will be too heavy?This quilt will be used often. Thanks for any info. Becky

If buttersuede is the same as Ultrasuede then, yes it can be fused, doesn't fray, and needs to be stitched down along the edge after fusing, especially if it's to be used a lot and washed. I've used it successfully on McKenna Ryan applique wallhangings with great results. These are seldom washed, though.

Thank you ladies for taking the time to answer my question.GD has never sewn a stitch in her life but wants to make this quilt for her cousin (15 years old) who is recovering from a near fatal viral infection of the heart. She is insisting this quilt have hearts on it and a place for friends to sign it. Will do what I can to help her.She will be getting a fast lesson on sewing 1/4 in. seams! I am encouraging her to use a fabric panel of some kind and simple blocks and border. . Becky

Archived