Tension Problems for an APQS User

DoryJM

I'm attaching a photo I was sent from a frustrated APQS owner. This is what the bottom of her quilts look like.

She lives a distance from me and in an attempt to save her the expense of my travelling to her house, I thought I would run this past you guys to see what suggestions you may have.

Some time ago, her needle got stuck in the bobbin casing. A man who repaired APQS machines supposedly fixed the issue, but she does not recall what he did. She also didn't determine that there was still an issue until just recently as she was dealing with a terminally ill husband.

I'm thinking that if the previous repair person didn't re-time the machine, that could be causing the problem. However, I've never seen the way a machine stitches when it needs timing.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks!!

post--13492895259328_thumb.jpg

Dory,

Send the photo to Dawn - she's our guru! Looks to me, though, like there's a burr somewhere on the hook assembly that the previous repairperson didn't find (or take care or). It's snagging the top thread as it passes around the assembly. Dawn may have more suggestions - well, duh, of course she'll have more suggestions!!

Guest Linda S

Yipes! That is one nasty bunch of gopher guts. I agree with Barb, all the way around. I think the person who "fixed" it probably didn't check all the things necessary to make sure it was working properly before they departed.

By chance is that rainbows thread? I ask, because I have seen this on my own quilts. I have had a bad needle and/or the thread jumped out of the guide next to the tension assembly and got caught under the side plate of the machine. When this happens, the thread frays apart and parts of it get sewn...but it leaves nasty nests such as these on the back side of a quilt.

This has been my experience.

Archived