Rant-a-licious! They're thinking all the time!

It happened again. My wonderful customers manipulated my schedule without consulting me.

Two customers swapped spots without asking me. One has two spots this month but no quilts ready. She hopes to have her custom ready and swapped her E2E lap-size spot with a friend scheduled in January. Unfortunately I put on the brakes on that deal because the swapped quilt is a monster-sized custom.

Very nicely, I let Piecer#1 know that first of all, permission is needed first so even if she had already made the arrangements she should have kept that to herself until I said it was OK. ;) Why? Because I don't have time for a third custom quilt this month.

So she was given the choices of--her having her quilt done and not #2. Or of #2 being done and not hers --which means she would lose both her spots this month. Did I mention that none of these quilts has been dropped off yet? And Piecer#1's second quilt is only in the block stage?

I told her I will be gone all next week for MQX so I will have 9 days when I get back to actually quilt--around the day job, of course. And her custom monster will take all 9 days....

Oh. She never thought of that.

Piecer #2 dropped her quilt off last night.

So #1, due to a busy life, lost her spot for a custom quilt and a lap quilt. She's in #2's spot in January for the custom and in the queue for the lap quilt if I have a cancellation.

But you should see the pretty quilt! :wub:

I admire how organized you are to keep track of all this.

I just let my customers drop off whenever it's convenient for both of us and quilt them as I get to them or as I choose. Sometimes I do all the little ones first, or all the pantos, or all the CL template ones, especially if they are the same template or panto, that saves me setup time.

I do a few customs, not too many. I have a 124" square semi-custom on Tutu now, more than half way done. They do take a lot of time.

And you have a day job too. I'm impressed.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A "non-quilter" would never think of these things.  She probably thought she was helping keeping you busy since she didn't have hers done.  Appreciate the thought process, but teach the rules.  I would think you have a line of quilter's going around your block waiting to drop off their quilts to be done. You really are that good.  :)

Archived