leader fabric for zippers

Guest Linda S

I've used my zippers since I got my machine in 2004. I never made leaders for the zippers. I just baste my quilts and backing straight onto the zipper.

Linda that is nice to hear because by the time I purchase 4 yards of canvas ,I could have just as well bought another set of zips if it wears out ,I havent seen any benifits of adding the leads on except for adding measurements so I am almost tempted to just go for it and put them on .I live about an hour and a half from any joanns of micheals so its difficult ,thanks for all the input .

If you've decided to make your own new leaders I would go with the 14 ounce (#10 canvas = 15 oz.). I'm not quite sure what you mean taking your time to attach leads to them unless you are saying you are attaching the zippers to brand new leaders you are making, and then installing the new leaders on your rollers? Fourteen ounce will work for that. JMHO, but me thinks it would be more cost effective to purchase them right through APQS - ready to attach zippers to and install. If my math is right, you would be ordering at 12 1/3 yards for three 12' leaders and hemming the sides.

No new leaders ,just attaching about a six inch piece to the set of zippers that go on the quilt and quilt backing that will be zipped onto the leaders ,I will be installing the zippers straight to my take up rollers ,I know its confusing ,lol ,thats why I have been watching u-tube clips and reading blogs on how to do it first .

When I did my zippers I purchased a little over 4 yds of fabric because I have a 12 ft. table and I wanted it to be a continuous length. I made some first out of a heavier canvas and hated them so I bought a different fabric that wasn't as stiff. More of a "ticking" type feel. Like the fabric we used to buy to cover pillows with. It even has stripes which I really liked. The fabric is wide enough to get the six pieces out of it easily (3 pieces to sew onto the leaders and 3 pieces to sew the opposing zippers onto). I hope this is what you are asking. I think I did buy my fabric from JoAnn's with a coupon. If you want new leaders then I agree with Marci...buy them from APQS site.

Somewhere or another, Dawn (?) suggested sewing the zippers to 2 inch wide grosgrain ribbon under your regular machine. Then I sewed a quarter inch line on the outside edge of the zipper/ribbon piece. Then Dawn suggested safety pinning on the line to your canvas leaders right on the quarter inch line and a marked straight line on the canvas. Since the ribbon is very even and straight it helped. Grosgrain ribbon doesn't stretch. It seems to have worked for me.

Somewhere or another, Dawn (?) suggested sewing the zippers to 2 inch wide grosgrain ribbon under your regular machine. Then I sewed a quarter inch line on the outside edge of the zipper/ribbon piece. Then Dawn suggested safety pinning on the line to your canvas leaders right on the quarter inch line and a marked straight line on the canvas. Since the ribbon is very even and straight it helped. Grosgrain ribbon doesn't stretch. It seems to have worked for me.

Now thats a much cheaper option I have not heard of but makes perfect sense ,thanks

Oma ,thats what I guess I was trying to ask ,which weight was better for attaching quilts and backings ,I think I am going to just go for it and stop procrastinating and get er done ,thanks for all the wonderful suggestions

Archived