Thread questions

apylinski

I am a practicing newbie. I have been using the thread and prewound buttons I received from APQS exclusively. They are a variety and its interesting to try different kinds. I now am getting ready to order some. I really like the glide thread that was sent. But no where on the cone does it say if its Superior, Signature, or what??? Also, the magna-glide bobbins I see everyone loves, where do you find them? The search I did said they are embroidery bobbins...does that matter? And I'm looking for some resources for purchasing thread and bobbins. Also, what is everyone's favorite thread they use in the top and bottom? I know...lots of questions but some I really need answered. Thanks all.

I am a practicing newbie. I have been using the thread and prewound buttons I received from APQS exclusively. They are a variety and its interesting to try different kinds. I now am getting ready to order some. I really like the glide thread that was sent. But no where on the cone does it say if its Superior, Signature, or what??? Also, the magna-glide bobbins I see everyone loves, where do you find them? The search I did said they are embroidery bobbins...does that matter? And I'm looking for some resources for purchasing thread and bobbins. Also, what is everyone's favorite thread they use in the top and bottom? I know...lots of questions but some I really need answered. Thanks all.

I really meant bobbins in the second sentence. Can you tell I'm new at posting, etc.

Ann:

Here is a link to Fil-Tec, the manufacturer of "Glide" threads and magna-glide bobbins. For the bobbins, choose the tab for "quilting" (not embroidery) for the pre-wound bobbins compatible with our longarm machines. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call and ask them. They are very helpful!! For starters, their thread/bobbin kits in the same color are a good choice. Good luck!!

http://www.bobbincentral.com/

Hi Ann, there are lots of yummy threads out there to choose from, but I have to say, at the moment my favourite is Glide. Just love the sheen on it. I've also used So Fine, Bottom Line and King Tut. I generally use the same thread in the bobbin as I do the top, as I wind my own bobbins. There's still a lot more out there I haven't tried, but am going to.

Have fun trying your new threads! :)

Thank you all so much. I went to the Fil-Tec site. There are a lot of choices, especially colors. Now I'm really confused as to which colors to pick. Since I am not quilting for anyone else at this point should I just pick colors I might use on my quilts? And are there any hard and fast rules on matching fabrics vs. a shade different...lighter or darker?

Ann,

Some threads blend so you see the piecing more. Others stand out where you want your gorgeous quilting to show. I've read that you shouldn't match a thread exactly to the color you're quilting, but go one shade lighter or darker, but can't remember who gave that advice.

We're lucky with the APQS machines because we can use any thread. I like to stay with Superior. They just started a new line of shiny thread called Magnifico. Some people prefer the Glide because you get more thread for the money. So really, you just have to try and see what you like best.

Archived