Quilts as Duvet Covers????

Hi everyone! Happy New Year!

Just wondering if anyone has attempted to make a quilt into a duvet cover? The mission is to please a couple where one likes to use a duvet in the winter and the other is a quilter. The first person likes the look of a quilt and wonders why not make a quilt that will act as a duvet cover, thus keeping both happy!

I figure if the quilt is done as usual then sewn as a cover, the whole thing will be way to heavy....but if it isn't batted and quilted, one would lose the effect you want in a quilt.

Hoping some of you have tried this and will share your experience/knowledge.....thanks!

I made a quilted duvet as a present for my son and DIL when they married. I used a 80/20 batting and a light muslin on the back. When completed; rather than binding it, I sewed the backing on right sides together and left an opening at the bottom to turn it and for the the down comforter to be inserted. I put coordinating buttons in the opening to close it. They enjoyed it, but tired of chasing the down comforter all over the place. The now just have a regular quilt I made them on their bed.

How about an easy compromise--use the quilt in the summer and when the duvet is needed use it alone. As the bed is made in the morning, throw the quilt over the top of the duvet so you keep the "look".

We tried a down comforter in a duvet and it lasted about two weeks before we decided it wasn't for us. Like you said, we spent a lot of time trying to keep both of us covered as the duvet migrated off the bed! :huh:

If the couple wants some warmth, suggest they find/make a quilt with two batts--one of them being wool.

We use a duvet cover over a couple different weights of down comforters year round, and we have a foot quilt across the lower third of the bed, also. To keep the comforter in place, I sewed eight 8" lengths of stitched closed binding around inside the duvet cover and in matching locations on the comforters. We tie the top of the comforter and the duvet first, working our way down to the bottom where the cover is then buttoned closed. It doesn't take long at all to do it, and they stay right in place. One of our daughters works in the hotel industry and she suggested this, and glad we did!

Well, I use a fitted sheet, a flat sheet and both a duvet (or continental quilt), and a quilt turned down as a foot warmer in the summer.....In the winter, we change to flannel sheets then we add a full quilt to the bed too.....this winter is unusually warm though so, we don't need the full up quilt.....

But I do live in a drafty old farmhouse.....

• 4 years later...

you'll require... 

a quilttop 

a major bit of modest muslin to back the knit beat 

a bit of texture sufficiently huge for the support (a level sheet will most likely work however check measurements first) 

a modest bunch of catches 

To start with make a knit beat in the correct size for the highest point of your duvet (measure your sofa and add a couple crawls to width and length + crease recompenses). 

Don't you cherish how that lone makes one stride in this how-to?? 

Next, utilize quilter's treating shower to follow the knit top to a vast bit of muslin. Utilize the shoddy unbleached muslin since it will be within the duvet. Sew the muslin and top together. I simply sewed along the flat creases of the sew best. 

Here is the front and back of your stitch best sandwiched together with the muslin. 

Trim the base of your duvet by collapsing 1/4" towards the muslin, of course, and sewing. 

Put your support wrong sides together with your knitted top and join the top opening (leader of the bed) and sides together utilizing a 1/4" crease remittance. Cut your corners. 

Turn your duvet wrong side out and join the top and sides together utilizing a 3/8" crease recompense. 

French crease: check. 

These means don't make for extremely energizing pictures, however I put stock in your abilities. 

Add the buttonholes to your top and catches to the sponsorship along the base to shut it down. 

Imply: get a buttonhole foot! It will make buttonholes a breeze! 

In the event that you make your top around 2" longer than your support, you can make a pleasant little pocket conclusion at the base (foot of the bed).It will resemble this. It's a bit much but rather beyond any doubt looks pleasant.

As I live in Australia I did the experiment on which I was successful I had quilt cover which I bought from https://www.rushk.com.au/kas/ I used some videos and helping guide from the internet and now I am good at conversion. 

Archived