Use it or not? The stitch regulator!

Hi, guys, I am finally back to quilting and have a "silly" question. Do you find you have more control using the stitch regulator or not using it? I have a Millie and am getting back in the groove and was wondering if I should practice with or without the SR? Opinions welcome!

For me, it depends on what kind of quilting I am doing, For stitch in the ditch, SR (stitch regulated) is the easiest way to go. For outlining applique, or for doing bump back feathers (where you backtrack) for me, SR is also the way to go. Some people prefer non SR for those feathers, though. If I am doing a design that is going to require abrupt direction changes, I also use SR. If you know exactly where you are going, non SR is fine, but if you need to hesitate and think it over, I find non SR to be kind of intimidating. Small background fills go more smoothly witn non SR. That said, I have Quilt Glide on my machine which is designed to smooth out that type quilting even if you are in SR mode. I think its a matter of your skill level and your confidence level. I would certainly practice with non SR, and switch to SR for instances where you don't get the results you like. These tools are available to make quilting easier, so I don't think people who never use SR are "better" quilters..they just get the results they want in a different way.

Well said Lynn! I would like to add that I find it easier using the non-stitch regulated mode when doing a lot of my pantos. This may be due to I started out with a Ult-2 that was not stitch regulated. All I can say is ppp and you will find your groove.

I agree with what everyone has said. I also found at first when in the non-stitch regulated mode I felt anxiety over the machine running what seems so fast and always felt I needed to hurry. After practicing in non SR mode, I got over that; got my own rhythm to make my stitches even and all is good in either mode! Have fun practicing!

I have an Ult2 with Intellistitch, and stitch in regulated mode all the time. The I/S Turbo on my machine has a stippling setting, and that is what I use for background fill, and for some outlining like on applique. When Helen installed the I/S, she said she did her background fill in non-regulated mode, but I've just never found a need to do so. Jim

Thank you so much, everyone! I find that when I know where I'm going I tend to be more comfortable with the SR but I do feel a bit rushed! I am trying to practice every day at least for a little while and will do so without the SR. . . it can't hurt to get proficient both ways, right? Thanks again for the input!

Archived