I have just finished quilting my own Glacier Star quilt. It still needs to be blocked, then bound, then back to the shop it goes for a class sample.

Mostly Glide threads with bottomline bobbins to match. Almost 11 hours on the machine.

Now Milady needs a thorough clean and I need to sort out where threads are getting caught up in the hook assembly.

post-2934-0-93511500-1359695705_thumb.jpg

post-2934-0-78621500-1359695718_thumb.jpg

post-2934-0-32832800-1359695734_thumb.jpg

Ok as a newbie I have some questions so forgive me if it sounds stupid. I keep hearing blocking a quilt. Can someone tell me how and why that's done? Also Lyn its hard for me to see in the pics but is it the same color thread throughout or did you change colors? And it is absolutely gorgeous and I also want to make a Judy N quilt one of these days. Beautiful colors and the quilting is exquisite! Wish I could be even half as good as you! Thanks for showing it.

I was going to use only one coloured thread in the bobbin so it looked like a plain wholecloth.  Instead I ended up matching the bobbin thred to the top so it is a thread colourd wholecloth.  Black, Light Green, Light Periwinkle, and Periwinkle threads if you look at Bottomline colours.  I want to block it so that it will hang flat.  It has a wool/cotton batting so I am sure there will be some shrinkage I want to address, as I will be putting it into our local show.

Ok as a newbie I have some questions so forgive me if it sounds stupid. I keep hearing blocking a quilt. Can someone tell me how and why that's done? Also Lyn its hard for me to see in the pics but is it the same color thread throughout or did you change colors? And it is absolutely gorgeous and I also want to make a Judy N quilt one of these days. Beautiful colors and the quilting is exquisite! Wish I could be even half as good as you! Thanks for showing it.

Ann, blocking a quilt is great for making a quilt lay flat as Lyn mentioned. It's also really the 'given' expected, before you enter a quilt into a show. In brief you dampen the whole quilt and lay it out flat, pinned to something like foam board so that as it drys, it retains that shape. Karen McTavish has a good explanation of how to do it in her book, "Quilting For Show".

Archived