Millie is stiff!

Millie is having problems moving from side to side today! If the needle is near the front of the machine, there's no problem, but as I move the head to the back (panto side), it feels almost as if I've turned the channel lock on and am fighting it. There are no threads around the wheels or anything like that, and the table is level front to back. If I stand at the back of the machine and lift slightly on the carriage as I move it, that seems to help. It's as though the weight of the machine is pushing down on the back wheels and making it difficult for them to turn. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi Louise,

Check to see if the two front wheels on your carriage are set too loose. If they have worked their way loose, then when the machine is all the way back toward the leveler bar the front end of the carriage can "pop up" like it's doing a wheelie on a bike. Readjust the front axle wheel cams until the narrow portion is pointing to 9:00 for each of them. This is the "factory setting" and is halfway between as loose or as tight as the machine can be. Once you set the cams there, then be sure the gold bolt on the underside of the wheel is tight. See if that helps!

Thanks, Dawn (and everyone else for their suggestions). I checked and adjusted the cams on the front axle - they were pretty much where they should be. Then I checked the back of the machine. I had noticed a week or so ago that the bolt that attaches the channel lock to the rear axle wasn't as tight as it should be, but I couldn't make it as snug as I used to. Turns out it was really loose today, and that was causing the problem. I got it as snug as I could, and that helped a lot. It's not as smooth as I'd like, but it's much better.  I had contacted the service department yesterday to get a new rear axle, and then today I realized I should have been contacting the parts department, so I've re-sent my request. Hopefully a new one will take care of things.

Archived