T-Shirt Quilts -- What do you use for a stabilizer

I have read how many of you have made T-shirt quilts and seen many of the pictures. I am thinking of making one and would like to know what you prefer as a stabilizer for the shirt fronts. I have read that you should use the tricot knit fusible interfacing and run the stretch the opposite direction of the shirt stretch. I also wondered if you should use the fusible cotton interfacing. Any thoughts or advice you can give me is greatly appreciated.

I use the lightest non woven, iron on interfacing from JoAnns. Works well without adding much bulk. I buy an entre bolt when I get a coupon for 50% off. If they don't have a new bolt in stock, you can use the coupon to order a new one at sale price. I've tried different products but this is what works best for me.

French Fuse is another interfacing with good reviews. It is knitted fusible that comes in a 60 inch width. I have not tried it but plan to do so in my next T-shirt quilt.

It is supposed to have great drape without adding bulk. The price is between $6 - 8.50 a yard. This may seem expensive, but may actually work out to be cheaper because it is 60 inch wide.

I prefer the ultra lightweight Pellon fusible from JoAnn's when I can get it (usually it's a doorbuster on black Friday, on little 8 or 10 yard bolts, and not available for the rest of the year.)  Otherwise I use the 99 cent regular lightweight Pellon fusible.  I also use a coupon and buy it by the bolt, but this one is about 48 yards.

I don't pay any attention to the direction I fuse it, in relation to the stretch of the shirt, and it seems to work just fine.

I just finished a t shirt quilt, used the lightweight Pellon that Liz & Kathy used, good result, not stiff & "drapery". I even used minky backing, the quilt is double in size.

Paisley, where do you order French fuse? I always want to try highly recommended products.

French Fuse is a fusible interfacing made with lightweight tricot knit, with lengthwise stability and crosswise give to be used on knits, etc. It ranges in availability from 20" to 60".  It's available at Hancock Fabrics as well as other locations including online.  I've seen it sold as lightweight stretch interfacing but not called French fuse, also.  I've used it and do like it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a new question about stabliizers for t shirt quilts. I can't find SF101 but did find 906F sheerweight fusible by Pellon. It is 100% poly, not a mix of poly and cotton like the SF101. Appears to be very sheer and light. Fusible is only on one side. There is no stretch to it. Can I use this instead of the cotton/poly fusible?

Thanks

Debbie 

Archived