LeaderGrips - sewing the 'pocket' onto the canvas

Any tips for sewing that nice, even, tidy  3/4" pocket along the canvas leaders?    I think I may need to wait for my husband this week to help me.  I tried on my own...pinned it all down and then tried to manoever the machine along, but wowza - crazy awful!!!

I measured and marked my leaders so they would fold over the required amount to make a pocket. I drew a line on them with a thin permanent black marker. I pressed it down with a crease. Then with the leaders clamped and tightly stretched I basted the pocket and it worked well. I will be doing this on my new machine too.

I found wooden dowels 3/8" diameter for my home made grips at the local hardware store. I got 6 of them for my backing and take up rollers as they are 12 ft. I float tops. I bought two packs of 3 pieces each of black heat shrink for 3/8"-3/16" tubing to connect the dowels. I also found 3/8" u-shaped mounting channel in the lighting area and bought 4, enough linear feet. My costs were $3.96 each for those. The dowels were $0.98 each. The heat shrink was 1.99 each. Total was about $30.

Heat shrink takes very little time. I used a hair blow dryer on hot. Then had to cut my dowels to fit my leaders. I fit the dowels into my u-channel and cut it the same size. One of my u-channels was too narrow so will take it back to the hardware store for exchange. I thought that if one dowel fit the u-channel then ...ha. They need to be a little loose since the object is to slide the dowel into a pocket in the leader and catch some of the backing edge too. I am going to get an extra channel or two to make smaller grips. It is easy to make these.

• 7 months later...

Archived