From Zippers to grips to velcro

I've been reading about different ways to attach quilts.  I made leaders with zippers, then I tried the grips, and now I'm using velcro.  I think each has its place, however, I find velcro is fast and easy.  I'm still using my leaders with my zippers that I put a casing for my grips, but just above the casing I've added the velcro.  It is fast and easy using velcro and easy to adjust.

Beth

Beth - Tell me more about the velcro options - is this something new?  How do you attach the velcro to the quilt top?  I was using Leader Grips, but haven't put them on my new Freedom yet, so am still pinning.  Frankly, I think pinning gives you a better attachment than the Leader Grips - but that's just me.  I'm interested in hearing about the velcro option that you're talking about.

I took my exiting leaders with the zippers on and added a strip of velcro along the entire sides of both leaders.  I then baste my top edges of the backing to the opposite edges and velcro them on.  This sounds more confusing that it is I'm sure.  Check out Sharon Schamber's YouTube video on leaders.  It's a 3 part series and it explains it in part 2 I think.  I seldom use pins anymore....just the sides and sometimes where it won't lie flat.  I hope this helps you.  BTW-I float the batting and top.

• 7 months later...

Sharon Schamber has a YouTube video to help visually.  I used sew-on velcro on both leaders and then baste the backing of the quilt to the leader with velcro.  Then the leader attached to my machine I just attach.  I know this sounds confusing, but it works great!  I used 3/8" wide velcro.  When you remove the backing where basted it pulls right off using a rotary blade.

• 6 months later...

The problem that I see with Velcro comes when you take the quilt off and then put it back on (which is why I have zippers in the first place, so I can do that).  The Velcro is not as accurate when putting the 'quilt in progress' back on the machine as the zipper is, and so consequently, especially if you are using a computer, things may not line up the exactly the same way and you can see that on the quilt.

I love using the zippers...........so much easier when you have to remove a quilt to load another one.  I can either pin to the zippered leaders or I could sew them on.  I usually just pin.   To me, all those layers of velcro would make a thick bulge on the roller.     

Archived