Painted quilt blocks

Mindy Skinner

I want to paint my stairs to freshen things up. I'm thinking of doing the risers white and the steps deep red/paprika. Maybe a faux runner look. What I was thinking would look nice would be a tiny, very simple, quilt block on every other riser. I don't really want to take the time to paint these so I was hoping to find a sticker or vinyl decal. Anyone know where I could get a quilt block sticker or decal?

Mindy

I thought of that but the stencils I was finding were more of the quilting line type stencils. I want a full block where all pieces are filled in. Seems like all those companies out there that make vinyl decals are missing a big marketing potential by not making quilt related decals.

Dover has two books of quilt block stickers. One is Hawaiian quilt blocks and one is traditional. Search "Dover stickers quilt blocks"  

Another thought if you can't find the colors or size of block that you want, scan a favorite block, size it, then print it. You could laminate it to use as a temporary attachment to the risers or decoupage them on.

You could contact a local sign shop and ask if they have a vinyl printer/cutter to make the specific blocks you want.  They would print your design out on self stick vinyl and then cut out around it to the shape of the block.  You would peel off the backing and apply to your riser. These kind of jobs are common for sign makers with printer/cutters.  Because they would be a custom print and cut job, they aren't real cheap but they would be unique and well worth it!

Marcie, I never thought of having custom vinyl stickers made but I love the idea, if I can afford it.  Now my very limited creative juices are flowing.  I have a red/black/white DWR quilt I made and placed third at Paducah with.  Since I'm painting the faux runner red, if I had mini vinyl images of that block on every other riser I think it would look awesome. Just counted and I would only have to decorate 8 risers, either one centered block or 2 per riser, one on each side of the faux runner.  I'm going to start calling around to see who could do it and how much it would cost.  Thanks again for the idea.  When I get all this done I'll post before and after pix.   Hope it will be soon.

Mindy

Well, I have already found a place to get vinyl decals printed in color of whatever image I want, vistaprint.com  don't know why I didn't find them earlier.  Now I can use my EQ and create a quilt with just one block, color it however I want, export it as a bmp and load it in to the vistaprint website.  then just place the order.  This is going to be soooo cool!

Archived