Martelli Free Motion Quilting Rings

A few weeks ago I asked if anyone had tried the Martelli Free Motion Quilting Rings on George.  A friend of mine who has a different brand sit-down loves hers.  I bought the set - 11" and 8".  So far I have used the 11" and it has increased the space I can quilt, keeps my quilt flat and is easier on my hands!  I've been having hand cramps and the knobs are such that I can hold the knobs without stressing my hands.  I did a teardrop design that is nice and smooth because I didn't have to stop and start to reposition my hands.

I haven't used the 8" yet but see it working well for finer work!

The ring has a notched out area that goes under the foot.  I had to take the foot off to use the ring but that was easy!  It is nice that the notch is deep but doesn't separate the ring where the quilt could get caught.

I highly recommend the rings - easier on your hands, shoulders - and increases larger quilting design opportunities.

Here is a picture of the quilting - this is my 3rd quilt on George and the first quilt using the rings.

Sue

Panama City, FL

post-18245-0-44559700-1374075142_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Marilyn, Thanks for telling us about the Martelli quilting rings on here a few weeks/months ago.  I was able to get some from the Des Moines Quilt show and tonight I was finally able to use them.

I would recommend them to any George owner or others quilting at a similar sit down machine.  I had the 11 inch ring tonight and was able to easily move the quilt and stitch some "relatively" straight lines and on another quilt do some SID very easily.  The ring holds the layers well and doesn't scoot the layers separately.  The knob handles are nice to hold or just rest your hands on them and move the ring and quilt. 

To get the rings on my George (old foot style) I needed to remove the needle plate to get it under the needle and then I just hang it up on the back of George by his running lights until I want to use the ring.  I don't remove the ring when I'm done quilting, just hang it back up by the lights again.

I would say, money well spent for a good tool.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived