Machine Sputtering? As If There's an Electrical Short?

pumpkinpatchquilter

I'm not sure where to put this - I hope this is the right forum!  I have noticed after running my machine for several hours it almost starts to act as if it's going to short out?  I'm not sure even how to describe it but the motor kind of sputters as if it's going to stop but it keeps going.  I have been quilting today for about 4 hours with only a few breaks to wind bobbins.  I thought maybe it needed to cool down?  I noticed it did this on another intense quilting job recently too.  Is there something I can do to avoid this or does my machine just need a rest after a few hours of quilting?  I have a 1999 APQS Ultimate 1  - thanks for any help anyone can offer!!  :)

My Millie started to do that and I Han to have the bushings replaces. I also up graded to the new wheels while my machine was being fixed in the shop.

Now with the new wheels my machine will stutter and skip stitches if my wheels and rails are dirty and they seem to get dirty fast. Try cleaning before more drastic measures!

I would start with cleaning the rails with alcohol (as Dawn told me to!). Then I use a wet Q tip on the wheels, dry it with a dry Q tip, and finish with a cotton cloth. I get a lot of black crumbly gunk off them. You can check the APQS home page for maintainance (I evidently can not spell the word !) tips. Any way look for it.

Ok, just checked. It is under Machine Care and then Common Questions. Good luck!

Valerie

The motor on my Ultimate 1 used to slow down for a fraction of a second and then bounce back up to speed.  It seemed to happen more when the machine had been running for a couple of hours and more often if the speed was below 5.  I did change the brushes because I had them in stock but that didn't help me.  Amy had me check a couple of things but I never did find my problem and didn't pursue it as I knew I was adding Intellistitch.  Send an email to Amy and see if she can send you the instructions for checking the brushes.  They are a PIA to change compared to the new machines.

Nigel 

Nigel - that sounds a lot like what I'm experiencing - maybe not slowing down - but almost blinking off for a second?  Like when your lights flicker when your power threatens to go out - that kind of thing.  I thought maybe I was pulling the cord a bit from the plug as it's towards the center of the machine on the wall - and I have experienced the shorting out thing when quilting on either the far left of the machine or the far right of the machine...usually going slow, probably a 5 like you said, doing something detailed like feathers or pebbles.  I checked the plug and it seemed secure.  I'm just worried about burning out my motor - I read that can happen somewhere here on the forum.  I'm on the tail end of a really big quilt that I need to ship home in the next few days and another that I need to do this week.  Crumbs.  

Valerie

That sounds pretty much the same as mine.  I know Amy had me check for dust and make sure the tone wheel was not hitting the magnetic pick up when running.  We never figured out whether the problem was in the motor or the circuit board.  Please let us know what it was if you get it figured out.

Nigel

Nigel it does sound like the same problem.  I did call up to APQS and Amy promptly returned my call.  She suggested I check the brushes and blow out the motor area, but also she said she thought there was a possibility that because I was running at a slower speed that maybe there isn't enough circulation in there.  I have noticed it only seems to happen on a day where I'm spending 6-8 hours quilting nonstop...and if I'm working that long on a single quilt it's likely I'm doing slow detail work.  So maybe that's it?  She suggested try to keep it at a 6 though that will be hard to do for me!  I'm shooting to save up for IS  next year so maybe that will help mine too.  I hope so!  

Thank you all for your help and suggestions, I'll keep you updated!  :)

One more thing that just occurred to me is maybe it is a static issue.  I believe you upgraded your wheels.  Some of us has funny problems after upgrading the wheels on our Millenniums and the APQS solution was their grounding kit. Try attaching a thin wire from the bumper screw on the carriage to one of the screws holding the one of the back handles on.  The wire will need to be about 14 inches or so long so the machine can go full travel front to rear.  You won't need the APQS clip for the head unless your head axles are rubber mounted (mine isn't).  If you are unsure ask Amy if this makes sense to her.

Nigel

I haven't upgraded my wheels yet - eep!  But I did have one fly off while in the middle of quilting not that long ago!!!  LOL*  That's another issue, I have edgeriders but they look old and on their last leg.  LOL  I will be replacing them at some point, and I will definitely mark this post so I remember to do this - thank you so much!

Archived