How many fills would you use?

Enchanted Quilting

This is a church banner that is 40ish by almost 100.  I stablilized the quilt today and tomorrow will use a variety of fills in each of the "stained glass pieces".  What are your thoughts on how many different fills to use?  How many is enough and how many will be too much for the eye?  I am matching (as nearly as possible) the thread color, so the fills will be for texture and visual interest.  Thanks for any thoughts you may have!!

9506133734_89d2bf1d91.jpg
Church Banner by Charlotte Peterson Enchanted Quilting, on Flickr

I like this one pretty much the way it is.  I wonder if the texture would be more distracting for the message the banner is bringing.  I could picture SID with the leading, and if needed more of a straight line fill in the glass to control the puffing and sagging.

Very nice colors and workmanship on this.

As long as the fills are the same density, use what you think looks best. I would probably opt for the same fill on all areas just for continuity and the fact that this will probably be viewed from far away so any extra designs will be lost.

You may have issues with the graded colors so perhaps use the same thread on the blue-to-green areas and another on the yellow-to-red areas. I wonder if a thin variegated in those two colorways would work and provide some depth to the banner?

It's lovely and how fun that you get to work on it!

I agree with Linda.  I would change thread colors.  I would probably use something like So Fine, though.  From a distance it will give texture and is fine enough not to show much. Variegated is another option, but I tend to not want to see the thread, just the texture.   Maybe pick the mid-range color and use it in all the reds, then the midrange blue in the blue/green. I might even do a third color, yellow, in those very light segments. Actual stained glass has texture, and not all of the texture is the same.  While I don't think I would do a different fill in each segment, maybe pick three or four and distribute them throughout the quilt.  I disagree that all it needs is SID.  Its going to hang, and if not quilted, it WILL sag.

• 2 months later...

Archived