Top Tension Pro

I ordered the Top Tension Pro from Superior Threads recently.  I'm having trouble getting it to work on my 2007 Millie.  I know the gadget works, because I can apply pressure to the disc & the numbers change on the display.  When I installed it, it seemed like I had too many parts.  I could tighten the tension adjusting knob on my machine just enough to keep it from falling off the post.  So, of course, I don't have any play on adjusting the tension.  I called Superior & they sent me another actuator ring which is plastic & a little thinner.  However, the tension is still too tight & can't be adjusted without the tension adjusting knob falling off.  Has anyone tried using this on their Millie?  It's like the post that all of the upper tension parts are on is too short.  It's original.  I haven't changed anything on the upper tension parts.  I have another call into Superior, but the lady I need to talk to is off until Monday  :(

Thanks,

"i don't have time to be patient Linda" :D

I had the first version of it, and I was able to get king tut thread to run if I went slowly.

I love KingTut thread, but it took so much fussing, & I hate fussing.

I never use KT or the top tension gauge anymore.

It's one of the few purchases I have made that I regret.

I hope the new improved model is better so you don't end up like me.

Linda,

I have the Top Tension Pro too.  I installed it last week and had the same problems that you describe. Now I know that it isn't just me.  I had taken a photo before I took my tension apart to put the Tension Pro ring on but decided that I must still have put it back together wrongly.  I looked in my (2008) Millie manual for a photo to try to check but couldn't find one that showed what I was looking for.  At one point the tension nut and spring flew off while I was quilting!  I noticed in the videos on the Superior site that the machines they installed it on were showing tension numbers in the hundreds.  I can't get mine any tighter than a number somewhere in the teens.  

I am sorry that I can't help.  It will be interesting to see if anyone else has had a problem.  If you find out any useful information from Superior could you please post it on the forum?

Superior has responded & tried to help me & I believe that the problem will be resolved.  I figure there's a simple solution & was just hoping one of you had already figured it out.  Patience is not one of my strong suits :D  They will call me Monday & I'll let you know the solution. Thanks, Linda

Linda, 

I'm looking forward to hearing the answer to correct your problem because it is the same for me on my Innova. The tension post is much too short to put everything back the way the diagram describes and I can't use it. I did, however, put it on my bobbin winder and I now know for certain, that the winder is changing the thread tension as the bobbin fills. I have been experiencing tension changes with the bobbins I wind myself. I start off with perfect tension and as the bobbin empties, the tension changes and I have to keep tightening the top to keep the stitching good The bobbin tension just gets tighter and tighter as it empties. 

I purchased another winder, and apparently, it is the same with all of them. I hope that I will have the chance to sit down to work with it some more. It must have to do with the speed it runs at.....anyway, keep us updated.

Debbie

Newnan, Ga

I installed the Top Tension Pro on my HQ Sixteen and couldn't seem to get it to work. I had a technician that works on Handi Quilters come over to service my machine and take a look at it. He had seen them but was unfamiliar with them. He did the same things I did with it - taking it apart several times and putting it back together. When he left, I didn't have a quilt loaded but we used a scrap piece and batting and it seemed to be working.  The next day, I loaded my quilt and the tension is so tight that the top thread keeps breaking even when I have the knob turned almost all the way off. If I pull the thread out from between the tension discs, it's too loose. I finally just took the thing off and it's sitting on the table. 

I'm surprised that Superior Threads would sell something that doesn't work. I'll see if I can send it back.

It just doesn't work on all machines.  It's still fairly new.  I'm hoping that I'll be able to have one in the future :D  They are nice folks & I love the threads & other products I have ordered from them.  I get an order from them every month & am a completely satisfied customer.

Linda: They are totally nice people. I love their thread and have the DVD Thread Therapy with Dr. Bob. I haven't gotten anything from them I haven't liked, that was why I was surprised about the Top Tension. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong.  I took a class with Dr. Bob at the MQX in New England a couple of years ago and he was a real down to earth person, just like on his videos.

• 7 months later...

Hi my name is Kayea. I just received this Top Tension Pro today my husband kindly put it on my innova machine. Because is night in Australia I haven't tried it. First thing I will be doing in the morning. All the comments are not giving me good feelings. I wished I had found this site I may not have purchased it. Will let you know how it goes.

Kayea Australia

Hi my name is Kayea. I just received this Top Tension Pro today my husband kindly put it on my innova machine. Because is night in Australia I haven't tried it. First thing I will be doing in the morning. All the comments are not giving me good feelings. I wished I had found this site I may not have purchased it. Will let you know how it goes.

Kayea Australia

Kayea: I had a  Handi Quilter technician come to the house and he couldn't get it to work. I contacted Superior Threads and they took it back and gave me full credit, no questions asked. I had a problem with the machine after taking it off and ended up having to buy a new bobbin case and now the machine works perfectly. I wish the TTP had worked the way I hoped it would but I did read that it works on some machines better than others.

Good day.

I don't know about this tool.  I do however, have experience with a Tajima thread tension tool, and think it might work on our long arms.  It's designed for embroidery machines, and there is no thread table to help you start, but as you worked with thread and tension you could develop one for yourself.  It can be used for either top or bobbin tension.  For bobbin, the TOWA is better, but the Tajima only cost me $20.  It's easy to use and quite handy.  Jim

Archived