Millie - Should I ReTime?

Oh wise and experienced maintenance experts, I need advice .... I've bang-banged (with my needle) two different rulers at two different times ... accidentally, of course. I did not break the needle when I hit the ruler, but ended in the needle jamming in the down position. Now my perfect tension and perfect stitches have gone wonky.  I get good stitches navigating from bottom to top with the correct # of stitches per inch, but really bad, little bitty stitches and horrible tension going from top to bottom. 

What steps should I take to get back to "beautiful" again?  Or should I just plunge and go for the retiming?

Thank you!!!

Investigate everything before you take the leap. Check your needle height. If you jammed the needle it could be a tad too high to make a nice stitch. That's actually the first step for timing.

Check the needle height (adjusted by raising/lowering the needle bar) after you are sure the needle is seated correctly inside the bar. That may re-position the scarf so the stitches will return to normal.

Since it may be that you just need to nudge the hook closer to the sweet spot of the needle scarf, you may not need to completely remove the entire assembly. Use the instructions in your manual and any videos available here to step through if you haven't timed before.

Good luck and I hope you're stitching beautifully again soon.

I was just corrected by the fabulous Barb M! :o

The fabric tries to pull the needle with it so pushing away would cause the needle to be pushed away from the hook. And towards you it would pull it into the hook. Thanks Barb--and I hope Jeannie gets it figured out! 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived