Dumb Quiltpath question

shirleyl

I am installing my Quiltpath this week. Have to clean my cave first. The paper pantos I have can I legally get them in my new system or do I have to buy them again? Also some designs I have drawn myself is there a way for me to get them in it?

Like I said I'm cleaning so I want to know what to do with a few things! Thanks for your input.

Shirley

I have digitized with Quilt Path and it reads the movement of your machine and makes a design. You are basically recording the motions you make as though you are quilting. Since the QP clamps are on there is a bit of resistance and takes some getting used to it. You may find it easier to isolate just the repeatable pattern and digitize that. You can contact the maker of your pantographs and ask about the issues. I gave mine away with the sale of my 2009 Millie. That solved it for me. I have purchased lots of digital patterns now so don't miss them. I found it easier to digitize with software such as Adobe Illustrator or Art & Stitch and my desktop screen is larger. I then save the file to a format Quilt Path imports and try it. To make a pantograph, the beginning and ending needs to be on the same plane...so I make a guideline in my software and snap them to it.

What a great question about transferring your purchased paper pantos to a digitized format.

I'm sure this will cause untold agitation from lawyers and designers!

Remember, copyright pertains to drawn and printed matter. You would really be copying the design when you transfer it to digitized mode in QP. So I'll bet it's not legal, even if it's for your own use. But your own drawn designs can of course be stitched out and used again with QP.

You should have no trouble selling your paper pantos. There are fewer and fewer paper pantos being offered today. Most designers can make money easily with digitized downloads and packaging and mailing paper pantos requires more staff and they make less profit.

I'm hoping my favorite pantos are digitized! If not I guess it is the old fashioned way if I can't get the designer to do it. I just didn't know if I could put it in quilt path and keep that panto if not available. Didn't think it would be legal to copy then sell them. So for you designers out there please don't think that is what I planned. I want you to keep adding neat things for my convenience and enjoyment. No one has contacted me or anything. Just wanted to clarify for those individuals. Like Darlene, Claudia, etc. nothing makes me mader than to license a quilt and then have someone copy it without paying for the license like I did. I make licensed University of Wyoming Quilts.

I may have wished I hadn't opened this can. I'm hoping they are available but haven't found a couple.

Shirley

So far I have been very impressed with the designers.  If I find a panto which is not available in the digital format I contact the designer and ask if they would put it in the digital format for me.  Most of them already have them digitized but may not have them on the website.  I have even contacted the designers of some OLD paper pantos and have been able to purchase them again in the digital format :)   Many of the old paper pantos I have were purchased second hand so I have gladly paid for the digital.  I have yet to be disappointed with any designers when contacting them and I admire and appreciate all they do to make our lives easier!!

• 10 months later...

Carol. Draw you design. There are several ways. I'm comfortable with pantos from the back, but also stencils marked on the front. Either way would work. I would put on a practice piece and if doing from the back you make sure your belts are engaged and choose record on QP. You may want to practice a couple of times, as the belts add resistance. You use the record feature and then save it. Can write a detailed description this evening if needed.

Shirley

Shirley, I would appreciate detailed instructions. I've looked all over for a video or written instructions and have not found them anywhere. I admit I am a brand new longarmer, but I am enthusiastic. I want to learn everything I can about my new Millie. But one of the quilts I am making I specifically made to use as my first quilt with quilting designed by me, it is a family quilt to be given away at a family reunion.

So thank you for offering to help me. I look forward to your reply.

Carol,

There is basic information on how to create a panto in this tutorial...

http://www.threadwaggle.com/2014/01/tech-sunday-how-to-create-panto-in.html

Are you trying to do something that will link together and be continuous or just a block motif?

We will be going farther in depth in PatternCAD in the Tech Sunday post later this month. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't slowed down long enough to do much of anything. Angela does the best information, and I haven't gotten that far. Nursing a bad knee after getting flung to the cement driveway by a motorcycle. No I wasn't riding it I was holding the handlebars and somehow it and I ended up on the driveway. I got the worst of it. Mom as done helping getting motorcycles ready to go.

Shirley

• 3 months later...

I have QP but I am keeping my favorite paper pantos. Every now and then a customer brings me a quilt with icky dense fabric intersections and it is so much easier to mark them on the plastic covering my panto so I can navigate around them. I would be afraid of breaking a needle if I used QP on those.

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of buying Quilt Path. I have a few questions and hopefully someone will be able to help me. I have a Millie. Is quilt path my only option. In other words do I have to buy the computerized program made by APQS? I may well decide this is the best one for me, but I just wondered if there was an option. Does it take a lot of time and work to figure out how to use this? I just want to be sure I can actually figure out how to use it if I buy it.

thanks,

c.

No Quilt Path is not your only option. Any system has a learning curve and I don't regret my Quilt Path one bit. I got it before they got a few quirks figured out, and they update whenever they or a user finds one. There are a couple more things coming that will be added and existing owners get all the updates. Especially since they are the users want list. For the price it can't be beat. I am happy with the support and customer service from APQS so I wanted to stay with their system for continuity.

I'm sure others will chime in on their option, I know Dave and DeLoa Jones developed one I think, there is the Intelliquilter System. Jessica Schicks with Digitech has a couple different systems.

Good luck in your search. MSG me if I can be more help.

Snhirley

Archived