Thread Keeps Breaking....I'm ready to throw in the towel!

My upper thread keeps breaking every 6" or so. I have changed the needle, changed the bobbin, changed the tension and it still keeps breaking. I am using the same type of thread in top and bottom that I always use. Thread is not gerring hung up in spool. I even tried different thread and it breaks. The only variable is that I am using warm & natural batting for the first time. Could it be the batting? I've read that a smaller needle helps with this type of batting so I've ordered one and am waiting for it to arrive.

Meanwhile I have two quilts needing to be quilted and this one is loaded on my frame. I feel like ripping out what I've done so far and just giving it back to her. This was supposed to be an easy/quick job for a friendand now its turned into a nightmare. What would you do?

Could it be the sandwich is tight or you have burrs as Vicki mentioned. Burrs could also happen on the plate and pig tales or thread guides between tension discs & stitching areas. I found out about this when Merry Jo came, we used fine emery cloth to sand them smooth, they come in strings also.

I keep handy supply of pig tails & duplicates of parts of Millenium that wear out.

Try thread lube and see if that helps.  If you don't have that use some mineral oil, really it won't stain the quilt but it will make the thread sew better.  If you're having the same problem with other threads then check to make sure you don't have something interfering with the thread path.  Check your pigtails for burrs.  Eat chocolate and try wine  :D

If you stop the machine when the thread breaks, and retread it without pulling on the thread, ths will give you the area to check for burrs. Start where the thread ends.

To check for burrs, I feel with my finger and look thru a magnifier.

I've also used a leg nth if thread me rubbed it along the edges. If it snags, you got a burr.

Also, loosen your sandwich, give a good cleaning, try another needle, and make sure there isn't a right/wrong side to your batting.

I use warm and natural batting all the time and don't have a problem with it. You did not mention type of thread. I use glide... Superiors : sew fine, rainbows ,lava and bottom line. After you turn the pig tails if the thread is still breaking, ck thread path. Take thread out of needle and pull thread (lots) to see if thread is getting caught on spool pin. Once I checked and checked and the thread was dropping and snagging on cone. Also make sure thread is in pig tail and not next to. Done that also.

Good luck, I know how frustrating it is.

I do like HeidiM  on this forum, and Sharon Schamber do and dip it in mineral oil, then blot the cone with

rags of hand towels/bathtowels..  Have seen no evidence of any getting into the machine, due to the batting

I have put fairly snugly in the guide immediately above the cone.. Thread breaking has only happened when

I didn't use a thread net, or when it gets looped on something in the top tension, and take up arm area.

I think it refreshes the thread, putting it more like it was when it was made.

I even do this on cotton, and on cones like Maxi-lock,  etc. 

Rita

I think I've solved my problem. I had burrs on my thread guide so I switched the front and back thread guides and just guide thread through top hole in back thread guide ( it doesn't have a burr). Hadn't mentioned that I was using Isacord thread and I finally realized that I need to put it on a horizontal spool holder. I haven't used Isacord for years and just forgot about it. Thanks for all your suggestions and support!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It could be maybe a burr in your needle plate...have you checked your bobbin area thoroughly for a burr?

I'm also new to this and have the same problem as tannak above.

How do you check the needle plate and bobbin for burrs?  I'm so frustrated with this, quilted over half the quilt and then bam thread breaking and breaking and breaking.  It's not the needle, not the thread (I've changed both of them multiple times), I guess I'm looking for burrs.  My machine is new, how could it have burrs already??

• 2 weeks later...

I had my 100 wt. Invisifil thread breaking on George last night (and it had been before) so I finally noticed that it was caught and twisted on the pigtail of the thread holder it was going through at the top of the spool.  Fixed that and was able to finish the area of quilt without it breaking again.  One other break I noticed the thread was behind the head of a screw right at the edge of the face plate, so covered that to prevent catches.  You just never know where it could find a place to catch.

Archived