Installing new mnm wheels

Mary Kay

Ladies - My new MnM wheels have arrived, the instructions say to take the machine head off the rails to install.  The husband says he can do this with out taking the head off.  Of course I told him that is not what the directions say (need I say more) my questions is, has it been done before without taking the head off the machine which will involve taking the rail off.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.    Mary

• 7 months later...

Hi Quilters!

Just wondering if the M and M wheels wear out/down and if so can you readjust or do they need to be replaced? Ive got a lot of drag lately  (or do I just* need* a new machine with the Bliss system??? lolololol... I know I *want* one !! My  Millie is an 04!  ^_^

Susan

We have had ours on the Millie for at least two years now and they seem to be holding up well.  They do get dirty and we use a Qtip and some batting to clean the aluminum oxidation from the groove.  It looks to me that you should be able to turn them over if they do get worn over time.

Just my thoughts.

Nigel

Susan, your wheels may have accumulated some oxidation (such as that mentioned by Nigel).  That will give you a rougher ride.  And you can readjust them to get a smoother ride, as well.  I don't know about turning them over - the installation instructions are very clear about which directions goes "up."  I'll look up the forum post on adjusting your wheels......

Grrrr, I can't seem to paste the address of the appropriate topic, but if you search for "Front Carriage Wheel" (that's the topic title), it should come up for you, with great instructions from Patty Butcher on how to adjust the wheels.

I have the Bliss system, but moving my machine had gotten to be like moving a truck, a ten-ton truck.  My M&M wheels were old, and so I got new wheels.  What a difference!  It now moves the way I remember it moving when I first got Blissed!!  I don't have to push a truck any more! 

Susan,

If I'm reading your post correctly and you already have M & M wheels, then you won't want to simply turn them over. The bearing in the wheel is replaceable, but it's held in place with a locking spring. If the wheel is installed upside down, then its possible for that spring to work its way loose and pop out--which would allow the bearing to shift in the wheel.

If you're having trouble, just let us know and we'll help you. Of course, the Bliss drive can't be beat, either! :)

THANKS SO MUCH YOU GUYS!!! they were fantastic right after installation. now they feel like Im pushing a truck.. I will clean them  first and see if it helps..  If that doesn't work I'll try adjusting. :D have a great holiday weekend everybody!!

Archived