Brand New George Quilting machine/table/supplies FOR SALE!

JudyNix

SOLD SOLD SOLD......

Don't know how to delete this topic, so this just let's everyone know it's been SOLD!!  Tnx to every Quilter that encouraged me about this and yes Mrs A, i'm going to look into buying me a long arm maybe next year

b/c I didn't get the asking price - had to take a Greater Loss! But Norman came to get it and that saved me to go bring it.  Thanks to all who passed the word, there's nothing like being a Quilter, it's the BEST hobby anyone could ever have!!!!

MS. A told me I could post my George machine For Sale here, SO, that's what i'm doing. Anyone interested Please contact me in a Message and I will be glad to answer any questions about the machine that i've not done here.....

I purchased George from APQS on April 10, 2013 for $6,937.38 Total but didn't receive it till May and I was at a Quilt Retreat in Milford, TX for a week b/f even getting my hands on it (My Sweet husband set it up and sent me pics of what it looked like). The first and foremost reason for my getting a George in the first place was lack of room to setup a longarm, so in my mind this was the solution - Wrong - I'm not a Free-Motion Quilter and guess will never be one. I've gotten instructions from two different teachers on the George and did all they advised me to do, but it doesn't work for me.  They say i'm trying too hard, Well, this was Very disappointing to find out I cannot Free-Motion Quilt! After doing practice squares (which looked tacky after doing them) & using 'cheater-cloth' for a twin size to practice on and making a total mess of that I said to everyone who was trying to encourage me that I was going to do a REAL live Quilt on it and if I messed up oh well so be it.  I can't seem to get a flow, it's jerky and pointy all the time. Please excuse me for boring you with my sob story (just want to let you know it's me Not George). So all i've done is practice blocks, cheater cloth & one quilt on it so far in the 5 months i've used it. 

I'm Selling George for $5950 on Craig's List and offering Free Shipping/delivery.  So anyone who buys this machine will be getting about a $1500 discount for Like-New George.  It performs just like advertised on APQS site, but the Operator is the klutz. Just to let you know there is absolutely nothing wrong with this machine & I believe APQS will transfer Warranty. They told me to come to this Forum and try to sell it b/c I would loose lots more money by trading in for Longarm (if I can ever get a building to house one). 

So ladies & possibly gentlemen, that's my story RE George.

Feel free to contact me ......tnx for listening to my babbling....lol

Hi Judy

I hope you soon find a buyer for your George. I fully understand what you are saying about free motion quilting on a sit down machine.

I tried and tried, but could not get the hang of it. I ended feeling very frustrated. So in the end gave up and purchased my Longarm. Now I will never win any ribbons, but my Longarm quilting is much better than my free motion on my DSM.

Hope you get a Longarm soon.

Hi Kath, Yes u understand completely how I feel & it's not good to be Frustrated when trying to Enjoy Quilting! The machine is Nice for someone else, but i'm willing to lose big bucks to keep my life free from Frustration....lol...tnx for your input Kath, glad ur Enjoying Longarming b/c I think that is my way to go to!

Hi, timing is wrong for me, I just bought a used baby lock Tiara sit down machine. I traveled from Missouri to Arkansas to pick it up! I just got it a month ago and would have definitely been interested in your George. I have severe neck pain issues and tried a stand up long arm at the store, and wow it really hurt me!! So when I saw the Tiara on ebay I went for it. I am enjoying it immensely and am stippling my first real quilt, after lots of practice on scrap fabric. It is a beautiful machine and it is 1 year old. I am sure you will sell your George because it will be perfect, for someone like me. Good luck!!

You gals are going at the machine quilting, in all the wrong or hard ways.   Just like with the long arm on the rail, I found out MANY years ago,

You first have to learn.. I would suggest papers, dry erase, patio door, etc.  anything quickly and easily cleaned. 

Until I learned to only move the fabric with my hands, and never turning my hands to go around a curve.. it went much better,  keep the fingers

always facing forward.  Also, I learned to put slight pressure on the fabric, and a Very Slight tension as though pulling the fabric away from

the needle area, helped eliminate the need for too many worries about puckers on the back of the quilt.   NOT enough tension to stretch

the fabric, just sort of take up the slack.

Always, Always keep the hands flat, slight side tension, and with fingers always facing away from you.. then move the fabric.. This was so

hard for me as I lived in and was quilting in a motor home.  Not much room..

Do, I'd suggest,you reconsider your sale, if you were not doing any of these.  They always seemed the main "Gotta Do's when I was sewing

on my Viking 1+ on a small dinette table.

I hope the tips can be of some help to other quilters, with or without a long arm.  it really works.

Rita

Hi Judy,

I'm so sorry the George didn't work out for you, but I totally GET where you're coming from. My brain is just not wired to quilt at a sit down machine! To me, it's like trying to write your name while moving the paper under the pencil! The first time I got my hands on a longarm machine, it felt natural, like writing with a pen ON the paper. Don't give up on your dream of quilting on a longarm tho'. There are quite a few places that will rent time on a longarm. If you lived near Edmonton, Alberta, you could go to Sparrow Studioz and have your pick of any model, along with some good training. There are more "APQS Education Centers" opening up in North America. Maybe you'll find one close to you. Phone APQS and find out where the one is in Texas. I know that's a BIG state and Milford might not be anywhere near one, but it's worth a try. Some quilters will also rent time on their own personal machines. Don't give up! :)

Hi QuiltingSue in Quebec, Canada....Yes my GEORGE is still For Sale. BUT we would have to talk if you want to buy it. Quebec is too far for me to bring it to you and sending it would probably cost more than you or I would be willing to pay! I'm really discounting the George to try and sell it here in the USA already. PM me and i'll give you my Cell# so we can talk about it. Tnx for being interested. 

Now....

Hi Beckwoman, i've PM you to give you my cell# so Please feel free to call me anytime and we can talk if you are interested in buying my George. Tnx for your interest.

And....

Hi Darlene, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your response about sit down quilting! You described it perfectly, how writing with a pencil from those positions would be awkward. I could never put it into words to my family/friends when they couldn't understand why I wanted to sell my GEORGE. It's NOT the George, it's me that can't handle that type of machine.  Appreciate your input and I'm NOT giving up on my Dream to own a Longarm, the Only hold up is selling the George to get $$$ to buy it.....lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hey EVERYBODY READING THIS BLOG TOPIC RE SELLING THE GEORGE......it's SOLD!!!  SOLD it to Norman, he just picked it up today!!  His wife is getting a Bargain and I hope she will thoroughly enjoy using George!  SOLD.....SOLD.....SOLD and

I Don't know how to delete this Blog, anyone able to send me instructions on how to do that would be Appreciated, tnx, Judy

So glad you were able to sell the machine, and that Norman's wife will be a great quilter on a great machine.

You can edit the first message and  at the start of it, put in "SOLD"  in bold or larger font, etc.. that should end this

thread.

Good luck with your new style machine  enjoy and do great stuff, we'd like to see picts of your projects.

Rita

Archived