Yay! I get to time my machine! I think.

Sheagatzi

My needle fell out while I was stitching. Yes. Fell out. Maybe the screw wiggled loose.

Anyways, blew both fuses, replaced them. Now when I manually lower my needle, it goes down, but kind of gets stuck down there and the rotation stops and feels like it jams. So I reverse the wheel and lift the needle up. It doesn't do a complete rotation.

Does this mean I get to time my machine? Follow Amy's happy video! Do I get to do all steps! .??

Dripping with sarcasm.

Any shortcuts to this? For sure, my day will start with a Starbucks if this will be my challenge of the day.

Andrea,

We need to do two things before you dive in:

1. Make sure the fly wheel rotates freely before you remove the hook to assess if you've broken a gear in the gearbox;

2. If the gear is still good, remove whatever's jamming the hook.

First, loosen the screw holding the "hook retaining finger" in place and slide the finger out of the bobbin basket. Now try turning the fly wheel by hand. If you can't rotate the fly wheel all the way around, then unfortunately the gear is broken inside the gearbox. It's still something you can fix "in the field" but it's a bit more involved. If you find that's the case, call us tomorrow to order a new gear and the instructions on replacing it.

If you CAN rotate the fly wheel all the way around without the hook retaining finger holding the bobbin basket in place, then the gear is still fine and the problem is between the bobbin basket and the hook itself. Something is most likely jammed between the hook (the silver rotating section) and the bobbin basket. If you broke a needle, then a piece of the needle may be jammed between the two parts. Put the hook finger back in place, and even shove it in closer than it normally should be for now. It will hold the inside bobbin basket firmly for you while you try to free up the rotating hook.

Next, remove the fly wheel cover from the right side of the machine if you have one so you can get a grip on the fly wheel from both sides. Now, really, really firmly rotate the fly wheel COUNTERCLOCKWISE (UP on the right side, DOWN on the left). This forces the hook to rotate backwards, and with a little luck and a lot of muscle you can often dislodge the piece that's jammed between the hook and the basket. If that doesn't work, you might need to order a new hook assembly if the bobbin basket itself is "sprung".

If you DO get the offending broken piece out and the hook rotates freely again, then you do indeed want to start the timing process from the beginning and re-set everything. Let us know how we can help!

Hey Andrea,

I have (sadly) become the master of re-timing.  Follow Dawn's directions first, but realize that the first time it is so scary, but after that you'll be fine.  You might consider changing your needle set screw from the Left side of the needle bar to the Right.  Being right handed, I can get more torque and tighten it down better on from the right side.  It's all set for that, just take the screw out of the left side, and put it into the right of the needle bar. Also, use a longer handled screwdriver so that you've got more strength.  I used to think "little screw, little screw driver."  That was before I too dropped a needle while stitching and blew the fuse, etc.

Enjoy the learning process.

That's good news, Andrea. If you get full rotation with no needle, the gear is fine. Begin the timing proces as Amy describes in her video. Definitely use a new needle and take the time to mark it with a permanent marker as instructed. You'll appreciate those visual cues as you move through the steps. You'll want to start by removing the hook completely, buffing the shaft, and then reinstalling the hook.

So,  i'm getting through it,  I needed to take a break.  

Tips for first timers: 

First off -  there are no 3/8"  carpenter style flathead screwdrivers.  I've been everywhere.   And a 3/8" screwdriver is HUGE.  I have a photo comparison to prove it.  Get a 3/16 flathead narrow shank (NARROWEST POSSIBLE SHANK) to so that the hole you go through, the head of the screwdriver is the same width as the shaft of the screwdriver.    I'm wondering if this is a misprint?

Havent a clue where to get emery cloth.   Lowes, home depot,  canadian tire, Home Hardware, napa auto parts all look at me like I'm alien (with the emery paper, as well as the above screwdriver).     Used a sheet of emery paper.  Will order from apqs when i'm done with this ordeal.

Tips for magnifying glass -   Michaels has them in the knitting notions area.   Again,  the above stores did not have them.  Couldn't not find a jewelry style magnifier as in the video.

Today has been a starbucks and pumpkin scone day,  followed with another coffee post hardware store hopping,  chased with a chocolate croissant and a diet coke this afternoon.        And I am following (supposedly) a grainfree diet.  Not today.   :lol:carb therapy.

The whole process is really complicated and daunting-  the first time.     I am using my IPAD - thank goodness for that - to view the video while I am sitting under my frame figuring this all out.   I pause after each step on the video and complete  as shown.     All of the steps are daunting,  but I think after this first experience, it really will be no big deal.   

Soon will be up and running again - I hope!

Andrea:  I have a set of gun smith screw drivers that I use most of the time on Zelda, and the other sewing machines I work on.  They are precision ground and fit screws properly.  You might find a set in a shooting supply store.  A little pricey perhaps, but good qualityl  I had to grind the blade narrower on one to fit the screw that hold the tension mechanism on Featherweights, and I have another small screw driver -not from the gun smith set- that I use to adjust the tension on bobbin cases.  Jim

Hope you have a better day tomorrow! I have watched the timing and fuse changing videos after my fuse blew on my machine yesterday. I was sure unhappy when the machine would not operate. Maybe there was something in the air in Calgary that day.

It was the first time that I blew a fuse and of course it was in the one that you had to take the cover off to change. Then I watched my hook rotate and double checked the way the needle was situated and so far so good. I am sure glad we can watch the videos and come to the forum for support. Here's hoping the Calgary air improves. Thanks for the tip about the size of the screw driver.

Andrea

It sounds like the belt jumped a tooth when the needle jammed the machine, happened to us..  You will need to do a mag collar adjustment.  Send an email to Amy and ask her to send you the instructions.  Your machine is newer than ours so it may be different.  Good news is it is simple compared to timing.

Nigel

yep.   I'm about to blow MY  fuse next. 

Finished the mag collar adjustment.   Now I keep blowing motor fuses.   This is the third one and I will not risk it again.   

I'm using a 2A slow blow fuse -  (I'm in Canada)  and it keeps blowing.   

If that darn cover wasn't so frustrating to fit on!!!! 

I am up and running!   Yahoo!

A big huge thank you to Amy at APQS who guided me through a couple of spots.    And another big thank you to the person who answers the phones at APQS because I had to phone a few times LOL

So, in summary.  Timing is really big and scary during the process.   And then AFTER you've done it,  you know how easy it will be the 2nd time around.    

but there will be NO second time around.  LOL

Glad to hear things went well. Knock on wood I haven't had to deal with any issues other than trying to smooth up the rollers. I would like to go off topic and say I like that you showed your quilting diagrams on your blog. I really need to train my brain and hand to operation in other directions. I've done some meander, loops, and waves and the next thing you know they are all flowing in the same direction. I'm going to have to try the whiteboard theory. Thanks again for sharing.

Thanks so much Marilyn and Carrie for the compliments :-)   I absolutely love to teach, and I love to quilt and my blog has been such a great way to share my learning and document my process as well.  When I look back at posts from 5 years ago, it is really neat to see how far I have come  (and to see how wee my kids were!)

Archived