Tension tension with Freedom

I'm having a recurring problem with the tension on my APQS Freedom, and I sure hope that someone can shed some light on it.  I'm working on a customer quilt, and I've stopped completely about half way through because I just can't seem to get control of this.  I've attached some pics (I hope) so that hopefully this will make sense.  I'll be stitching along, everything seemingly fine, and then a little loop will appear among my top stitches.  Sometimes one or two, and sometimes a lot within just a few inches of stitches.  Some are very small, and will probably even out once the quilt is washed.  Some, though, are more than I can allow to stay there, and some are making a mess on the back also.  I will definitely have to go back and frog some areas and redo them because I can leave them as they are in good conscience.  

I've tried everything I can think of.  I've switched spools of thread, and I've switched bobbins.  I've rethreaded the machine.  I've checked for burrs.  I've endlessly changed tensions of the bobbin and of the top thread.  I've put a piece of batting in the thread cone, and a piece in the hook guide above the thread cone.  I've moved the position of the hook guide.  I've cleaned and oiled, and changed the needle.  

This has happened before, by the way, and the only difference that I can think of is this:  When I've done a quilt that is thicker, as in 2 layers of batting, this doesn't seem to happen.  When I think back, I'm pretty sure that this has only happened on thinner quilts with just one layer of batting.  In fact, just before I started this quilt, I did one of my own with double batting, and it didn't happen even once!  Same thread.

I've attached 3 pictures (I hope, I've never added attachments before).  The turquoise one is the backing.

I sure hope this will be a quick simple fix.  I feel strongly that it has to do with the thickness of the quilt for some reason.

Thanks!

post-15388-0-54431300-1383338642_thumb.jpg

post-15388-0-23740000-1383338752_thumb.jpg

post-15388-0-91096100-1383338902_thumb.jpg

I had this same problem yesterday on my Lenni. My top thread was also making little loops on the back. I found my bobbin was too tight, and my top tension was too loose.

Put your bobbin in your hand and lift it by the thread. It should run freely with the bobbin just barely lifting from your hand.

Do that and then adjust your top tension until you get a nice stitch. I hope this helps you.

Marley

Thanks for your replies.  I loosened the bobbin tension as far as it would go.  Then I started working with the top tension while I stitched.  It definitely improved, but didn't stop producing loops every now and then.  Even when I had the top tension so tight that when I made turns the top pulled the bobbin thread right through, the loops were fewer, but just when I thought I had it, I'd see another loop.  It's frustrating because it's so inconsistent.  I'll keep working on it, but in the mean time, if any more ideas come to mind, please send them my way.  I appreciate any help!

Are you winding your own bobbins? If so, check to make sure the bobbin is wound tightly. it's possible your bobbin thread is spongy? If so, that could be a problem.

Do you blow out your bobbin area often? Fuzz can cause tension issues. When I start to get "issues" with my machine, I take the needle plate off, and blow it out and clean the bobbin assembly with WD40 and then wipe that out and then oil it real good. A clean bobbin area can fix the problems, too. Good luck!

I had some similar problems when quilting on batiks, never on regular fabric. I think you will get it, just keep tweeking the tension, take notes and maybe make some reference lines on upper tension dial. I did this and it did help.

Another tip, is to watch the video from Jamie Wallen on bobbin tension, once I followed his suggestions, I had a lot less issues with my bobbin tension, good luck!

Once you play with the tension, you might also try using a thread net.  If it is Glide thread with the snap bottom on the cone, make sure it is snapped closed so it isn't catching on the cone.  That does some really strange things to top stitches!

Once you play with the tension, you might also try using a thread net.  If it is Glide thread with the snap bottom on the cone, make sure it is snapped closed so it isn't catching on the cone.  That does some really strange things to top stitches!

Lynn, I use a tiny piece of scrap batting stuff it in the guide directly above the spool holder in back. This little "stuffing" controls the thread coming off of the cone. Works really good!

Check out this post with Dawn's advice. I had stitches like yours and the culprit on my Mille was the thread guide by the tension unit was not staying at 8 o'clock. I had removed it when we did some work on my machine and didn't tighten it up as tight as it should go. Hang in there!

http://forum.apqs.com/index.php?/topic/32366-help/?hl=twist#entry460118

Top tension is definitely not right.  I use the Jamie Wallen (I think that's who it is, and someone posted a link to this on you tube earlier this year) method....First, adjust bobbin so that it slowly drops down when you lift it off your palm.  Then, adjust top tension so that bobbin thread is just pulled up to the top.  Then, slightly back off of the top tension so that bobbin thread doesn't show from the top.  You might also want to make sure you're using a big enough needle.  I'm not sure, but sometimes too high hopping foot can cause stitch issues.

Check the height of your hopping foot. If the tension is fine when you're using 2 layers of batting, then you probably need to lower the foot when using one layer. You should only be able to fit 1 business card under the foot when it's in the lowest position. Also, make sure your hopping foot is level, as in not higher of lower in the front. The metal is soft enough that it CAN get out of level if you hit the edge of a ruler etc.

Archived